A time to be born and a time to die...

Having just preached a sermon series from the ancient book of Ecclesiastes, little did I know that these words would so quickly define my world. Just before 6:00 a.m. last Sunday morning my brother called me from the Intensive Care Unit of Summa Hospital in Akron to tell me my father had suffered a massive stroke and that the doctor had just informed him and my Mom that there was "zero chance of recovery." As a pastor I have had the privilege of sitting with many families faced with a similar decision - and while the "time" was unexpected - we were prepared to make the decision.
Through tears we agreed on the phone that if that was indeed true - then we would let Dad go into the heaven he longed for. I have never known anyone more ready to meet Jesus than my father. He and my Mom begin almost every day of their lives saying to each other, "Today might be the day." And they mean it.

Just 15 minutes after I had hung up the phone - after I had called both Lorene (who was in Indiana at the time) and my oldest son Jordan -- my brother called back. This time he said another doctor, a neurosurgeon, had met with them and gave them more information about my father's condition. He had suffered a "sub-arachnoid aneurysm" - which meant the bleeding was outside his brain - not inside -- and that his condition might be reversible. He said they could drill a hole in my Dad's skull, insert a shunt, and thereby relieve the pressure on his brain. He believed that would
create a dramatic improvement in his condition -- and if it didn't we could then make the decision to let him go. We decided to pursue that option.

By the time I arrived in Ohio late Sunday afternoon, the procedure had been done and my Dad was on a ventilator and in a medically induced coma. While his blood pressure had returned to normal - he was completely unresponsive. But the medical staff was guardedly optimistic that "things were going in the right direction."

Monday was a long and amazing day. It began with us believing it was possible that we could make a decision to let Dad go to glory, and ended with him talking to us and even making a few of his trademark wise cracks! He not only regained consciousness, but he can move his arms and legs, and his personality seems intact. He has a long way to go - but it appears that his season of life will continue for at least a while.

I share this story with you for several reasons. First, to thank so many of you for your expressions of love, concern and prayer - it means more to me and my family than you will ever know! Second, to remind all of us that the words of "The Teacher" are still true - there is indeed "a time to be born and a time to die" and neither end of that equation makes any sense until informed by the love and truth of our eternal God!

Finally I want to remind all of us of the reason my Dad was ready for his time and why we were prepared for that time. In Galatians 2:20 we read:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who
loved me and gave himself for me."

Simply put, my Dad was ready to die because he has known for a long time that his life is not his own - but belongs to Jesus. In the same way, because his life is not his own - he is also free to live whatever days he has left in complete trust in the grace and sovereignty of God. That's the truth and power of the gospel in one man's life - and it is what the Apostle Paul wants for each of us in his letter to the Galatians.

This weekend we begin a new series of messages entitled: "Gospel of the Heart Set Free: A study from Galatians" - I hope you will join us as we take a deeper look at the wonder of the gospel of Jesus Christ!

Pastor Brian

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brian - We're so glad to hear your father is doing well. We'll keep him in our prayers! Kelli & Michael Lafin

Anonymous said...

We indeed have been praying for you, your Dad and Mom, and your family. Thank you for taking the time during this uncertain season to fill us in and remind us that God is truly in control. We praise Him for the good news of your father's improvement. Rich and Karen Grant

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brian, We are praying for your Dad and Mom and you and your family.
Love, Bob and Jolene Mitchell

Joanne said...

Dear Pastor Brian,

Thank you for sharing this.

Today just wasn't the day :)

Praises to God!

Joanne Hartel

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Pastor Brian,

It's so wonderful to continue to see that God is in charge and your father apparently is not done with his 'earthly' plan.

You and your family remain in my prayers! what a Praise!

Valerie Groomes

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Your father led me to the Lord at Hillside Church in 1967 and married Rob and I in 1972. Your parents have been so dear to us and we have so many wonderful memories of times together. Your dad called me when my Dad died four years ago and then when my mom died. I am praying for complete recovery for him. It seems that the Lord may not be ready for him quite yet. Let him and your mom know that we are praying for him here in upstate New York.
Margaret Nordberg

Unknown said...

Dear Brian, Wow! I am touched to the core and am so happy that your earthly father will remain here with all of those he loves for awhile longer. Looking forward to hearing your series on Galatians.
In Him Who Knows All,
Nancy Harris

Anonymous said...

Dear Brian,
I have prayed for your parents, and their extend family and friends with the blog that you sent out. I then took the time to read the whole book of Ecclesiastes out loud and to ponder about what Solomon had to share from his own experiences. I came back with God uses his children to reach those who do not yet know Him. So after my time in Ecclesiates I asked God to use this experience to bring those who do not know Him toward Him. Your parents, your brother and his family, and you and your family show others just how much they love Jesus and I know that they will touch lives even though they may not know it. Just as your blog has touched and witnessed to me. A believer for the past 30 years.
Lori Krueger

Amy Eimerman said...

Dear Pastor Brian,
Thank you for caring for us at such a difficult time for you and your family. I pray that the Lord blesses your family with comfort and peace as His will is done.
Amy Eimerman

Tim and Barb Kautz said...

Dear Pastor Brian,

We are so sorry to hear about your father. Your entire family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Tim and Barb Kautz Family