Friday, November 26


Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”

When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.

One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him – and he was a Samaritan.

Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go, your faith has made you well.”             Luke 17:11-19
  
Matthew Henry was an 18th century English preacher and Biblical scholar who one day was assaulted and robbed by petty street thugs. He later wrote in his personal prayer journal:

            “Let me be thankful; first, because I was never robbed before;
            second, because although they took my wallet they did not take
            my life; third,   because although they took my all, it was not much;
            and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.”

I think we would agree that this is a deeper kind of gratitude. Most often I feel thankful when I am abundantly blessed; that is, when my children are healthy, my bills are paid and the refrigerator is full of food. While certainly appropriate, this kind of thankfulness is relatively easy – and superficial. It is quite another thing to remain in some way thankful when my child is sick, when my job was terminated, or when my house is in foreclosure!

As I think about this story – it dawns on me that this one Samaritan man has many reasons to remain somewhat skeptical and bitter. After all, who knows how long he had been a leper – and whether or not his family and community would have him back.  Would his former employer offer him a job – or would his past be a liability for the company? Would his wife have him back – maybe she had grieved and moved on in her life. And why should he trust this healing to last? Maybe it was just a cruel temporary remission. And after all, while he may have been cured of leprosy – he was still a Samaritan!

Yet, despite all the reasons he could have used to feed his own self-pity, this man threw himself at Jesus’ feet in humility and gratitude. Jesus’ response is very interesting. He says, “Rise and go, your faith has made you well.” Many scholars have pointed out that the word “well” indicates a sense of wholeness – that is, inner as well as outer healing.

Could it be that God’s work in this man’s life was not complete until he opened his heart in praise and thanksgiving to Jesus? Could it be that the healing from the external symptoms of leprosy was not the main work Jesus wanted to accomplish? Could it be that the most important thing in this man’s life was NOT being healed from a dreaded disease – but in coming to know the love and grace of Jesus?

The purest form of praise and gratitude is not in response to our abundance, but in response to who Jesus is and what he has done in and for us. Take some time in prayer to throw yourself at his feet in thanksgiving and praise!

Brian Coffey

No comments: