Thursday, March 10

Luke 15:20-24
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

On the fourth finger of my left hand I wear a ring. Of course, this is my wedding ring – which I received on the day of my marriage to my wife, Lorene. This thin band of gold has little monetary value, but for over 25 years it has been perhaps my most valuable symbolic possession. My wedding band means that I live in a covenant relationship that is “holy” – set apart for a special purpose and is never to be violated. It means I have a place where I belong and where I am loved for who I am – and that place is found in a person, my wife!

The father in Jesus’ story gives three things to the younger son upon his return. First he gives him a robe, not only to replace his tattered clothes, but as a gift that was often given to an honored guest. Next comes the ring, which would have been a signet ring, symbolizing the authority that came with being an heir of the father. Finally come sandals, which were worn only by family members and not by servants.

The father is making a statement that is symbolic but unmistakably clear.
He is NOT saying:  “I am taking you back as a hired man.”
He is NOT saying: “I am taking you back because I need another servant who knows how to feed pigs.”
Rather, he is saying, “I am taking you back because you always have been, and always will be, my son. I am taking you back because nothing you have ever done can change my love for you. I am taking you back because you have come home.”

To “repent” means to turn around, to make a change in direction. The younger son repents when he comes to his senses, turns around, and heads for home. IS there any way in which you need to “repent” today? You may not be eating with the pigs – yet perhaps you have strayed from home in some way. Remember that the father is waiting and watching for you to turn around; and he longs to put the ring on your finger and the sandals on your feet once again – because you are his!

Brian Coffey

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

God's love is just so very huge. To live in it is to be surrounded in Belonging...Forever!