Thursday, November 3

For an audio version of this, click here.
Romans 8:1-9

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile toward God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.


I am a list maker. I start every week with a to-do list pinned to the front of my day timer. As I get things done I cross things off my list. As funny as it sounds, I get great pleasure crossing things off my list. If I do something that isn’t on my list – I will sometimes write it down after the fact – just so I can cross it off! Some of you know what I mean!

I love my list. It keeps me organized, focused, and gives me a sense of accomplishment. But my list is also a kind of burden – a kind of curse – if you will. I say that for several reasons. My list is a burden because once I write something on the list I have to get it done. I can’t rest or relax of feel that sense of accomplishment until I finally get to that item and cross it off! My list is a curse because I almost never get everything on my list done in a given week.

In a way, my relationship to my list is what Paul means by the “law.” The law was the religious law of the Jews that began with God’s Ten Commandments and that had been expanded over the centuries to include hundreds of specific laws that governed religious behavior. Paul tells us that God’s law – meaning the Ten Commandments and God’s word – is good. But the law, good as it is, ultimately serves to reveal how far we each fall short of keeping it perfectly. In other words, the law guides us but the law does not save us!

For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.

Just as my list reminds me each week of both what I need to do as well as what I have not done, so also the law of God both teaches us what is good and reminds us of where and how we have sinned. In that sense the law serves to condemn us. But in Christ God provided something greater than the law to fulfill all the requirements of the law so that, through faith, we can be set free to live in and by the Spirit.

And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

Imagine trying to conduct a relationship - say marriage, for example, through a list of do’s and don’ts! First of all it would be a very long list! But secondly, it would be perfectly possible to check things off the list without ever actually loving the other person. And it would also be possible to fail on a couple of “list items” (like saying “I love you” three times a day or “taking out the garbage” every week) even though you love your spouse very deeply! A list is a very ineffective way to manage a love relationship – and yet that’s exactly what “religious law” seeks to do.

God wants us to be good people – not just because his law requires us to be good – but because we love him and want to reflect his own goodness and holiness. And that’s where the Holy Spirit comes in! The Holy Spirit is God’s way of establishing a love relationship with each one of us; his way of living his life in and through us.

Ask God to make his love and presence real to you through the Holy Spirit, and ask him to move you from “practicing religion” to living out a personal relationship with him!

Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: