Wednesday, February 22

To download an audio version of this, click here.

Ephesians 4:17-24

So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity with a continual lust for more.

You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.


Years ago I came across this story about Alexander the Great. The story is likely apocryphal, yet it makes a point worth considering. The story goes like this:

Alexander the Great was one of the most successful military commanders of all time and is presumed to have been undefeated in battle. By the time of his death, he had conquered most of the world known to the ancient Greeks.

One day a cowardly soldier caught running from battle was brought into the tent of Alexander the Great:

"Soldier, what's your name?" demanded Alexander the Great.

"Alexander, sir."

Alexander the Great repeated the question: "What is your name?"

"My name is Alexander, sir," the soldier repeated.

A third time and more loudly Alexander the Great asked, "What is your name?"

A third time the soldier meekly said, "My name is Alexander, sir."

Alexander the Great then looked the young soldier straight in the eye. "Soldier," he said with intensity, "either change your name or change your behavior."

There is some truth to that story, whether it is historically accurate or not. For the truth is: our behavior is rooted in our identity. If I believe that I am nothing more than a working, consuming machine, I will behave accordingly. If I believe I exist because of the random activity of molecules in an impersonal universe, I will behave accordingly. If I believe that this physical life is all there is and that when I die I simply cease to exist, I will behave accordingly.

But if I believe I have been created by a God who is both personal and eternal; and if I believe that God created me for a purpose; and if I believe that this God loves me beyond measure despite my selfishness and sin, and has redeemed me by the blood of Jesus Christ, so that I will one day dwell in his presence for all eternity, I will also behave accordingly.

Paul writes:
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

So, do you know who you are? I’m not asking if you know your name! I’m asking if you know who you are?

Do you know who created you in his own image?

Do you know who has known and loved you from before you were born?

Do you know who gave his own blood to purchase your soul?

Do you know who you are?

If so, does your behavior reflect your identity?

Pastor Brian Coffey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I feel like so many times we THINK something is a part of our identity when we're really not living it out - for example, thinking you prioritize your faith in your daily life when maybe your actions speak differently. Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is encouraging me in an area that is my greatest weakness. You remember the sermon where we were asked to consider where Satan would attack us - that more opportune time that is mentioned regarding leaving Jesus after the 40 days in the wilderness to tempt him again later. For me that area is living according to who God created me to be, as opposed to allowing my life circumstances to dictate who I am.

Whe you are a person who has experienced the worst this world has to offer - especially during childhood, it is easy to see yourself as being defective and having little value. You seem to chose to live your life in a way that reflects that you believe this as well.

A part of my healing journey has been to allow Christ to redeem this faulty process. I know without a doubt that I can't change it on my own, but I have a willingness to change. He gives me opportunities to practice living "as if" I am a daughter of the King; hopefully, one day, it won't feel like I'm pretending. I will have that as my first thought.