Monday, March 31

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Matthew 13:54-57
Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?they asked. Isnt this the carpenters son? Isnt his mothers name Mary, and arent his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? Arent his sisters with us? Where did this man get all these things?And they took offense at him.


A few years ago I decided to go back to my hometown for the 30th reunion of my high school class. My family had moved away from the area within months of my graduation  and I had only visited once in all those years.

The first event of the weekend was a cookout at a classmates home. I remember parking in the street outside the address and just sitting in my car for at least 15 minutes. I was surprised by the anxiety I felt. I found myself wondering who would be there that I would remember? I wondered if people would recognize me? It had been so long! I wondered if I had dressed appropriately? What would people think of me? How would they react when they found out I had become a pastor? Would they be impressed? Would they laugh?

Then it dawned on me that I felt just like I used to feel in 8th or 9th grade; awkward, unsure of myself, and just wanting to be accepted!

In this rather obscure text from Matthews gospel we are given a glimpse into what it was like for Jesus to return to his hometown.

From what we are able to learn from the gospels, Jesus grew up in Nazareth, where he likely inherited his fathers carpentry business. Then when he was about 30 years old he left Nazareth and moved to the region of Capernaum in Galilee, where he began what we know as his public ministry. He called his first disciples and began his teaching and healing ministry.

At some point, it seems, he returned for a short time to his home town, only to find his friends and even his family unwilling to accept the change that had taken place.

Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?they asked. Isnt this the carpenters son? Isnt his mothers name Mary, and arent his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? Arent his sisters with us? Where did this man get all these things?And they took offense at him.
I think we should notice several important things here. First, it seems clear that Jesus grew up in a family with siblings. There has been much debate through the centuries about whether Mary and Joseph had other children after Jesusmiraculous birth. Some traditions have argued that Mary did not have any other children and that we are to understand the reference to “brothers” and “sisters” as referring to cousins. However, the clearest reading of the language, and the clearest meaning of the context, is that Jesus did, in fact, grow up in a family with younger brothers and sisters.

Second, we should notice that those who knew him best; those who grew up with him; those who used the tables and chairs he built with his carpenters hands were those who struggled to believe he was the Son of God. We see that Jesus experienced rejection from those who were closest to him.

I think I can understand why that may have been so. Imagine how difficult it would be to accept that your brother or your best friend from grade school was God become flesh! How are you supposed to believe that?

In a similar way I have heard many people describe experiencing rejection or skepticism from their family or friends when trying to share their own spiritual transformation.

They hear things like, “So you think youre better than us now because you found God?”

Sometimes the hardest place to live out the gospel is in our own families or in our closest circle of friends.

One would imagine that Jesus had to feel the sting of rejection from his friends and family. All we know from the gospel accounts is that he returned to Galilee and continued to preach and teach and heal many; and that he eventually submitted to the cross.

We also know that at some point following the resurrection Jesus appeared to his brother James (1 Corinthians 15:7) and that James not only believed, but became a leader of the church in Jerusalem and author of the book that bears his name.

Its likely that some reading this devotional are the only follower of Christ in their family. Some may have experienced the rejection of friends because of their faith. Take heart! Jesus also knew what rejection was like; but he continued to obey the Father and the result was that many, including his brother James, eventually came to faith.


Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: