Thursday, October 2nd

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Thursday, Oct. 2

Acts 2:42-47
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

A few years ago a friend at FBCG asked me if I would be willing to talk to a Jewish woman who friend of hers and was going through some personal problems. I said, “Sure,” and we set up the meeting.

The woman met me at my office and shared a number of painful issues with me. After doing the best I could to give her some perspective and direction, I offered to pray for her. She looked a little surprised, but then indicated that would be O.K.

I bowed my head and thanked God for the conversation we had shared, and asked specifically for his help and guidance in her life.

When I opened my eyes and looked up at her I was surprised to find her staring at me. She said, “Um, thank you,” and I realized that she had not bowed her head but rather had just watched me pray for her. It was obvious that she had no idea what to do when someone prayed for her and it occurred to me that she had probably never seen anyone do what I had just done!

Two thoughts struck me that day. First, it made me sad to think that this woman had never had anyone pray for her before; and second, it made me think about how often I take for granted the great privilege of praying for others and being prayed for by others.

Luke tells us the first church was devoted to prayer.

And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles.

Now I have to admit, and this is a funny thing for a pastor to say, but I don’t really get how prayer “works.” I don’t fully understand how directing my thoughts or words toward God can impact someone else’s life. Yet the Bible instructs me over and over again to pray for others. So I do and I do so in faith that just as I use my cell phone dozens of times a day when I don’t understand how cell towers work, God simply has spiritual “technology” that I don’t understand.

But I do know that personal prayer is powerful. I know that both praying for someone else and the experience of being prayed for are gifts from the very heart of God that leave both pray-er and pray-ee blessed beyond description.

I think the early followers of Jesus were devoted to prayer because they knew there was no way their little band of believers would survive without God’s help. I think they prayed for each other because it was sometimes all they could do for each other. I think prayer was as natural for them as eating, sleeping and working. I don’t think they had to be urged or reminded to pray; I think they couldn’t help but pray.

How about you? Is prayer something you would say you are devoted to? Or is prayer hard for you? Who do you pray for and who do you know for sure prays for you?

I think many of us struggle in our devotion to prayer. We often feel like the sheer velocity of our lives robs us of the space to focus on prayer. Here’s a simple idea: let your car or your cell phone be your reminder. See your car as a sanctuary and your cell phone as a prayer prompter. Decide right now who you will pray for every time you get in your car; and who you will pray for each time you pick up your cell phone for a call or text. Then let those people know you are praying for them; I guarantee they will be both grateful and blessed.

Remember, you don’t have to understand how the technology works to use it!


Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: