Friday, November 7th

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Friday, November 7

Acts 5:34-40


But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law held in honor by all the people, stood up and gave orders to put the men outside for a little while.
And he said to them, "Men of Israel, take care what you are about to do with these men. For before these days Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him. He was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and came to nothing. After him Judas the Galilean rose up in the days of the census and drew away some of the people after him. He too perished, and all who followed him were scattered. So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God!” So they took his advice, and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.


Some 15 years ago I had the chance to preach at a sister church in Russia. Before the service, I met with the pastor and elders for a time of prayer. Before we prayed the pastor introduced me to the elders and as he did he shared briefly their stories of persecution. I don’t recall all the names and details, but it went something like this.

“This is Brother Alexei; he spent 20 years in a labor camp because he was a pastor.”

“This is Brother Dimitri; the communists took his home and his business.”

“This is Brother Sergei; he was arrested and beaten because he testified about Jesus.”

He went around the whole table and every single one of these old men had suffered for the name of Jesus. When the pastor was finished I felt like a toddler in my faith!

Later that day I was invited to participate in the ordination of a young pastor named Victor.

As he was taking his ordination vows I was listening to my interpreter explaining what was being said.

I don’t recall the vows exactly but I do remember two questions that were asked of young Victor.

He was asked, “Do you vow to preach the gospel in season and out of season? He responded, “Da!” (or “Yes” in English).

That’s a fairly standard part of the ordination process, so I wasn’t surprised. But the next question took my breath away. He was asked, “Do you vow to be faithful to Christ and his church even unto suffering and death?”

I didn’t recall that making that particular promise at my ordination! That young Russian pastor, just 22 years old, looked straight back at the man leading the ceremony and gave his unflinching answer. He said, “Da!”

And then all those elders, those old men whose stories I had heard earlier in the day, gathered around and laid their hands on this young man and prayed his ordination prayer. It was a powerful and unforgettable moment.

Then they celebrated together!

Read again the end of Acts 5:

...and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

Notice that this time when they were called before the authorities they weren’t just warned not to preach and teach the name of Jesus, they were beaten.

It’s one thing to face threats or ridicule; it’s quite another thing to face fists and rods! Their obedience was now costing them something. But notice their response!

Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

I have to tell you this gives me goose bumps! This makes me think of those old Russian elders I met years ago. This makes me think of Pastor Joseph Tson in Romania. This makes me think of the countless men and women through the centuries who have rejoiced in the face of suffering because they were “counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name.

What a strange kind of joy!

Lord, grant us that kind of faith!

Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: