Thursday, April 28, 2016

“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

“After a long time the master of these servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

“The man with the two talents also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two talents; see I have gained two more.’

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

“Then the man who had received the one talent came. “Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground, See, here is what belongs to you.’
Matthew 25:14-30

Have you ever offered a lame excuse for failing to do something you know you were supposed to do? Something like, “The dog ate my homework,” or “The sun got in my eyes,” or “I was just driving the speed of traffic!” Most of us have, but perhaps the lamest and saddest excuse in the whole Bible is right here in this parable.

The master in Jesus’ story has invested significant resources as well as trust in three servants. Two of these servants go out and re-invest these resources and double their master’s investment. But the third servant, who had received just one talent or money, played it safe, burying the money in the ground.

When his master returns and it’s time to settle accounts, this servant sees that the five-talent servant now has ten talents to offer his master and the two talent servant has four talents. And he realizes that he has failed to do anything with the gift he was given. So, instead of confessing his fear and laziness, he decides to try to blame his failure on his master. He says, in effect, “Because you are such a cruel and vindictive taskmaster, I did the only prudent thing and buried your money in the ground.” In other words, he makes his master responsible for his own failure, and in so doing, he demonstrates an almost breathtaking misunderstanding of his master’s nature.

Imagine blaming your credit problems on a boss that pays you too much, or a speeding ticket on a dad who gave you a car for graduation! The one talent servant essentially blames his master for his own laziness. I wonder how often I might do the same thing without recognizing it. Do I ever say to myself, “Well, I would give more if I had more,” or “I would read the Bible more if I had more time,” or “I would spend more time with my family if the kids didn’t fight so much!?”  When I allow myself to say or think such things, I am actually blaming God for my own laziness, disobedience, or both!

The sad thing is, if the one talent servant had simply admitted his failure and asked for forgiveness, his master most certainly would have gladly offered him a second chance.

Thank God for the many gifts He has placed in your life and for the greatest gift of His forgiving love!

Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: