Thursday, December 23

Thursday, December 23

 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”    Jeremiah 29:11


I recently had the privilege of conducting a funeral service at the East Campus. In fact, we have had five funerals or memorial services at FBCG over the past few weeks. Walking with people through times of grief is part of a pastor’s role and one that I consider a very great honor. Over and over again people walking through the “valley of the shadow of death” have reminded me of the depth of love we are to have for one another as well as the hope that we have through Christ. The lady we buried today was Joan. Several months ago I visited with Joan and Joe in their home because she wanted to talk to me about her own funeral service. In the course of that conversation she looked me square in the eye, and in a strong voice said, “I want to live. I want to be with my family. I have a lot to live for! But, if I die, I’m good with that. I know that Jesus loves me and I love Jesus – that was settled a long time ago – so either way, I’m good.” Today I reminded her family and friends that Joan’s words – and her faith – were true!

Within the past few weeks we also dedicated 13 children at FBCG – and welcomed at least two newborn babies into our church family. And as I think about those children – each at the beginning of a life that will include joy and sorrow, successes and failure, love and pain – I realize that the promise of God through the prophet are true for each one of them! God promises that nothing can happen to them that he does not know fully and nothing can happen to them that he cannot redeem into their good and his glory!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

In the same way, to those who face the end of earthly life, God says, “you have a hope and a future!” Jesus said,

“In my father’s house are many mansions…I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back to take you to be with me where I am.” John 14:2-4

This is why Joan could face the end of her earthly life with such confidence and hope! This is why, though her family grieves, they grieve with great hope! And this is why, in Jesus, we can have peace with the future – because in him, our eternal destiny is secure.

Brian Coffey

No comments: