Thursday, December 9

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

Have you ever watched a 4-year old pour syrup on his pancakes? Have you watched as he turns the syrup bottle upside down and squeezes with all his might as the syrup flows over the pancakes like a great syrup waterfall until it covers the pancakes and fills the plate and threatens to spill over onto the table? If you’ve seen that you know what Paul is trying to tell us about the grace of God!

Paul says that, in Jesus, God has lavished his grace on us. The Greek word translated “lavish” means to pour out with abundance, to bestow with extravagance, to expend nearly to the point of wastefulness – like the boy pouring syrup on his pancakes.

I think that sometimes I have a tendency to project some of my own “conservative syrup management” on God! I picture God being careful not to waste the syrup – being sure to only use enough for that particular pancake – so he will have enough left over for other pancakes in the future. See, sometimes I am stingy with my grace – with my love – and I imagine God to be the same way.

Paul is telling us that nothing could be further from the truth about God. He lavishes his grace on us! He pours out more grace than we can ever absorb, or need or use. He is absolutely unconcerned about wasting his grace – he just tips the bottle over and squeezes as hard as he can – and never stops!

So just in case you have ever secretly wondered if God can really forgive your particular set of sins; if he really has enough grace for you - the answer is right here; yes, yes, yes, heaven’s yes! He’s got way, way, way more than enough!

Be sure to remember that the next time you see that little boy squeezing the syrup bottle!

Brian Coffey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a parent, I should get a Devotional like this sent to me every morning - ideally, before the kids wake up! Because I oscillate between giving grace to my own children (knowing how much I have received at God's hands!), and haughtily saying they need to "learn this lesson". I know there is a fine line here - because, as parents, we do need to teach our children through consequences. Lord, help us to know when and how to apply this very precious Grace of yours!