Thursday, January 20


Thursday


When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.  Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.   – Psalm 73:21-28

The passage above describes the Psalmist (Asaph) as he looks back over his struggle and doubt.  He is reflecting on how foolish and shortsighted he was and how blind he was to the goodness and faithfulness of God.  One of the things that strikes me most about this is that Asaph is willing to reflect and think deeply about what his condition was and how got into such a mess. 

It’s one thing to cry out to God for mercy and help when you are in the midst of a crisis.  It is another thing to pause and consider (after the help has come and the crisis is over) what you can learn and how you can grow from that experience.  Many of us are familiar with the quote from the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates, “the unexamined life is not worth living.” but how many of us are actually taking the time to examine our lives in the presence of God?

Asaph was willing to examine his life and to honestly face himself.  This is a difficult thing to do.  We do not like to do this. We do not mind working our way through our problem, but the minute we get relief we want to move on and forget about whatever it was that troubled us.  We do not go on to face up to what led us to this, what made us act like this.  That is why many of us keep going through the same problems over and over again.  Do you ever feel like you keep making the same mistakes, having the same doubts and struggles, or dealing with the same issues over and over again? 

I remember hearing a story (I have no idea if it is true) about a man who had worked for manufacturing company for 25 years.  A higher-level management position opened up that he really wanted, so he applied for the job.  He was turned down and when he later discovered that a person who had only been with the company for one year was hired instead of him, he was furious.  He stormed into the boss’ office and demanded to know why he was passed over.  He said, “why would you give this job to someone with only one year of experience when I have had 25 years of experience?”  His boss looked at him and calmly replied, “you have not had 25 years of experience, you have had one year of experience 25 times.”

The point is that most of us are too busy and distracted to take the time to really reflect and examine our lives before God.  We are not yet too far into the new year, how many of you have reflected on the lessons God has taught you over the past year?  We rush from one activity to the next, from one week to the next, from one year to the next, and we wonder why we often seem stuck in our spiritual lives.  Asaph has given us a window into his heart as he reflects on his life and on his spiritual struggles.  He saw what had caused his doubts.  He understood what led him to question God.  He saw how foolish and ignorant he was.  I am sure that this was not the last time Asaph ever had a question or a spiritual struggle.  However, I can’t help but wonder if he ever had this particular struggle again, my guess is that he probably did not. 

Did you notice in the passage above the amazing way that Asaph describes his ignorant condition and the moment when he realized that God was still with him?  He says that he was senseless, ignorant, and a brute beast before God.  Then comes the incredible realization; “yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.”  The minute he came to realize his low place before God there comes an instant reassurance to his heart.  He realizes that God still loves him, God has not cast him aside.  Suddenly he grasps the fact that though he is confessing his stupidity and his ignorance before God, God has not cast him away; he is still with him, he still loves him, he still holds him and supports him!
He now realizes that it was God’s hand that had kept him from going over the brink when he was losing his footing (73:2).  It was God’s hand that held him even when he felt like he was losing his faith.  It was God who prompted him to enter the sanctuary and to worship.  Even when he despaired that God may have abandoned him, it was God that held him by his hand all along!  Notice that Asaph also says that God will guide him with His counsel.  He is looking ahead with a deep assurance and security because of what he has learned from looking back.  He knows that he can trust God despite his circumstances and despite how things might look in the moment.  God will continue to guide him all of his life. 

Do you know that God is holding you even now?  Do you realize that right now, in this very moment God has you secure in His grasp?  Regardless of what your current circumstances are, no matter what you are thinking or facing or doing, God has not and will not abandon you!

(Tune in tomorrow for the final installment this week as we look at the aazing ending to this beautiful Psalm…)


Jeff Frazier

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I examine and examine...but following through to make changes in my life is the hard part! Lord, help us to look in the mirror but not go away being the same as we were before! Only by the power of God can any of us change our attitudes, our actions, the desires of our heart... Lord, give us your power! I thank Him that He holds our hand, even when we are brute beasts before him, and feeling powerless...

Tom said...

Reading this reminds me of a great parable.

One Night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; one belonged to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you you'd walk with me all the way, but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me." The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the blogs today! I can relate to the first blog and I LOVE the footprints parable...

I wish I never had the same struggles again, but I often do. Something that has helped me to continue growing and becoming stronger in my areas of weakness is reaching out to other people.

A group of friends and myself all act as historians for each other. We share what we have faced in our lives and what our weaknesses and strengths are. Then, when we face a difficult time we can help remind each other how we are trying to grow and we can celebrate how we have grown.

It feels so good to see that growth and have it afirmed even if I've not yet made it completely.
I guess we spur one another on towards love and good deeds... I'm not sure I'd always be able to see outside the circumstance without their help.

Like the first blogger, I know it is God's work in me that truely causes transformation in my character. I'm grateful for others to share that with.