Wednesday, January 12

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will. Romans 8:26-27

On July 18, 1988 I received a phone call that changed my life and my understanding of prayer forever. My brother Joe called with the horrible news that our youngest brother John had been killed in a tragic traffic accident. While I had learned about the grief process through my graduate studies as well as through pastoral experience – I discovered that going through it yourself is a different matter. I also was surprised that part of the grief process for me was that I struggled to pray. I had been a Christian most of my life – and pastor for several years – but for months I found it almost impossible to pray. I couldn’t still my mind or heart long enough to form coherent prayers. It seemed that all that came out was pain. Sometimes, to be honest, I didn’t want to pray. But I found I could write. So I wrote; page after page – notebook after notebook – filled with memories, sadness and anger. But still I couldn’t pray, at least not the way I had prayed all my life.

Looking back on those difficult days from the perspective of time, I now understand that what I felt at the time was a prayer-less time in my life was actually a prayer-full time. I think I learned something about what Paul is talking about in Romans 8. Read the words again:

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Paul is telling us that, in some mysterious way, when we are at the end of our ability to cope, at the end of our understanding; when we have no more words to pray and when we can only groan and cry – that the Holy Spirit actually translates our pain into an eloquent prayer of faith to the Father who hears and understands! Much like a parent might scoop up a weeping child and simply hold them until the tears subside, so also our God promises to love us, be present to us, and to hear all our prayers – with or without words.

Brian Coffey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful God we love and serve. He hears our tears and those we valiently try to hold back as eloquent words of prayer and petitions from deep within our hearts through the Holy Spirit. At times I've wished I wasn't so emotional, but now I'm thankful that God created me (us)to be this way and hears these deepest expressions of our feelings, fears, joys, and sadness as any form of prayer.

Anonymous said...

I am reading Job right now, as is anyone else who is TRYING to read through the Bible in 2011 chronologically :P I thought of Job as I read this opening verse in Romans. That's what Job didn't have! the SPirit to help him pray according to GOd's will, in the midst of his pain and torment and confusion over being unjustly brought to devastation and ruin (by God?!). It is beautiful how many times we see in Job's words his NEED for (and foreshadowing of)an intercessor, one to plead for him before GOd, and a High Priest/Savior to lead him and save him. Back then, they had only their own connection with God, but it was faulty and incomplete (I think) due to human nature. We should be SO thankful that we have Jesus our Redeemer! and the Holy Spirit our Counselor!

Anonymous said...

to anon bog on Job:

Thank you for writing this bog! I have read Job many times, but this is a new thought for me. I am encouraged by this idea, and I want to read and study it again.

Thank you Pastor Coffey for sharing this painful time in your life. I am always so gratetful for the way the pastors at our chruch share from their own experiences. This sharing today particularly touches my heart.