Monday, August 15

Mark 9:17-24

17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”  19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.  21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”  “From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”  23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
 24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”


I find the expression of the father relatable. It is simple, honest and authentic. “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief.” The father of the possessed boy has come to Jesus for a reason. He has hope, a hope that Jesus will be able to do something about the spirit that has tormented his son, to return his child to him. He does believe and yet recognizes in himself that battle against unbelief.

When you think about your own relationship with Jesus, where do you find that prayer relatable? If you were to pray those words, “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief,” where would God intersect with your place of struggle? The compelling thought behind this simple expression of a father seeking to help his son, is that our Father already knows that place of need in us. Yet when we come to him in faith acknowledging our need, praying that simple prayer, we invite Him to once again take what faith we can muster and turn into something life changing.


Take a few moments to mediate on where in your life you need God to help you overcome your unbelief and then some time in prayer inviting Him to do just that.

Pastor Sterling Moore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know God provides. He proves Himself faithful. But what about this time?? That's where my doubts come in! Giving it to Jesus. Trust and obey...and wait in His peace.