Wednesday, August 10

Some might say I am taking a short cut on this 10 Minutes with God. I’d suggest, “I’ve just put the ball on the tee.” Now the rest of the devotion gets written by you!  As a comment to this entry, write which quote you like and why, or add one that has inspired you to be a beacon.

Seriously…lets set a 10 Minutes with God record with “comments”!

Quotations to Inspire 

"It is the duty of every Christian to be Christ to his neighbor."

– Martin Luther

"No one has the right to hear the gospel twice, while there remains someone who has not heard it once." 
– Oswald J. Smith

"The Lord of the harvest has directed us to the oikos [household, family, friends, neighbors] to spread the Kingdom of God. This is, in fact, the way of spreading the Gospel most often put forth in the New Testament. It appears that the Lord of the harvest has indeed set us up in a particular oikos to reach people who do not know him yet.”
– Neil Cole (Organic Church, Jossey-Bass, 2005, p. 164.)

“We must have his [Jesus’] life in us by the Spirit if we are to do his work and practice his teaching. Any evangelistic work without this is as lifeless as it is meaningless.” 
– Robert E. Coleman (The Master Plan of Evangelism, Revell, 1972, p. 60.)

"Evangelism that will introduce Jesus to this culture will flow from people who are deeply in love with Jesus." 
– Reggie McNeal (The Present Future, Jossey-Bass 2003, p. 82.)

"How deep is the faith you convey to outsiders? What type of depth are we asking our friends and neighbors to have? A get-saved approach ignores the fact that most people in America have made an emotional connection to Jesus before; now they need much more than a one-dimensional understanding of him." 
– David Kinnaman, (Unchristian, Baker Books 2007, p.76.)

“The early church teaches us three principles for evangelism in a secular/spiritual culture: we must be open to all; we are to preach, teach, enact, and live an exclusive Christian message; and we need to create a community that not only looks after its own but cares for the needs of the world.” 
– Robert E. Webber (Ancient-Future Evangelism, Baker, 2003 p. 57.)

"The salvation of a single soul is more important than the production or preservation of all the epics and tragedies in the world."
– C. S. Lewis
"Being an extrovert isn’t essential to EVANGELISM–obedience and love are."
– Rebecca M. Pippert

"The Holy Spirit can’t save saints or seats. If we don’t know any non-Christians, how can we introduce them to the Savior?"  
– Paul Little

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.” 
– Dwight L Moody

“Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn.” 
– John Wesley

Add some comments!
Bruce McEvoy
Pastor of Family and Serving

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being an extrovert isn’t essential to EVANGELISM–obedience and love are."

– Rebecca M. Pippert

This reminds me that God is fully able to provide me with the tools, I just need to do my part.

Anonymous said...

How about some Scripture to inspire!?

"Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

Anonymous said...

I hope my light is getting brighter and will attract some curious moths. Every day I need to clean the glass so it radiates farther.

Joanne said...

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.”
– Dwight L Moody

This quote is very encouraging to me because I struggle with speaking publicly. It is also a reminder to be filled daily so that my actions do reflect the light of Jesus. I love how we can all be used to plant the seeds!!!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the phrase "let your light shine” (to show the love of Jesus)!

Anonymous said...

Amen to Mr. Luther.
To Mr. Smith, no one has the right to hear the gospel once.
Mr. Cole what you say is right, yet remember what Mr. Smith said and Jesus did say go into all the world even though we see our oikos around us.
Mr. Coleman and Mr. McNeal state the same thing, the first as a warning , the second as a fact.
Yes, Mr. Kinnaman, as Luther stated, it’s Christ we must be all the dimensions of to them.
Mr. Webber tells us it’s a big job and Mr. Lewis tells us how important it is.
Mr. Little, Mr. Moody and Mr. Wesley make interesting and catchy statements but they aren’t especially helpful with out a whole lot of context.

However, Rebecca M. Pippert hit me where I live. I’m not an extrovert, I struggle with obedience and I don’t show much love. But obedience and love is what evangelism is all about. God help me! (and do it now, I’m not very patient either.

Luther, obedience and love as exhibited by Christ.
Smith, Jesus kept on the move contacting more people as He obeyed the Father.
Cole, Jesus taught his family and friends who He loved thoroughly over and over as they travelled with him.
Coleman, Christ was the real Life. All the work is His done by His Spirit in obedience to the will of God, If we’re not in sync then we are in the way.
McNeal, People saw how much Jesus loved people.
Kinnaman, Jesus said give what you have to the poor and come follow me, He also said today you’ll be with me in paradise. We must completely trust and obey the Lord Jesus Christ who is omniscient and seems to our shallow minds to be contradictory.
Webber, We must Love and Obey in all things and it’s a big complicated and definitely not simple job.
Lewis, Jesus left the ninety and nine because He loved one more.
Little, do what it takes to be obedient.
Moody, just Do it obey!
Wesley, Get all excited and go tell everybody that Jesus Christ is Lord? Catch on fire with enthusiasm? uhuh. It’ll never happen.

But, Be Obedient because of what Jesus did for me. Just go pay my bills. Keep doing it and the enthusiasm that I don’t have will soon show up. Because, He is faithful.

Being an extrovert seems to help and enthusiasm definitely helps, but they don’t cut it.

Obedience and Love for Jesus powers evangelism.
More obedience and love for who and what Jesus loves (and enthusiasm) follows.

Anonymous said...

Light in darkness. Salt in a bland world. Those closest may be attracted to our difference but they need to know it is God, not us. I pray God will redirect the focus onto Him alone.

Anonymous said...

I am touched by the one by Neil Cole. It reminds me of the story in the Bible of the man healed from the demons - when Jesus cast them in to the herd of pigs. That man wanted to follow Jesus; Jesus sent him back to his own people.

My Dad recently went through a study called, that the world may know- he said that he learned that this man was the catalyst and beginning of the church in that area. He was the first convert; when Jesus returned, there was a huge crowd of believers.

This is the third time this has come up for me. I think at times I minimize the work that God is doing through our family in our neighborhood. I have blogged before that we consider our street the "united nations" because of the many different cultures represented.

We often have neighborhood children coming to our home - and we look for opportunities to engage in conversation. I'm not patting myself on the back, because I think there is so much more we could do; yet, I think this quote reminds me that with God there is no small stuff. It is all important and a part of His plan. We are all a part of the wonder of the gospel at work in the communities in which we live - whether we are helping to water the seeds planted or seeing the harvest in full bloom.

Tom said...

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.”
– Dwight L Moody