Friday, July 27

To download an audio version of thisclick here.

Psalm 1:1-2, 6
(1)  Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  (2) But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.  (6) For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.”

When I was a young boy, my mother said to me, “Never go anywhere that you cannot take your mother with you.”  Reflecting on Psalm 1, I have transferred those words spoken by mother long ago to this modern day axiom:  “Never go anywhere with your feet or mind that you would not want to take Jesus with you.”  

We are greatly tempted to let our feet or mind wander into the counsel of the wicked.  Too often we pray for a crop failure after we have sown seeds of wickedness into the soil of our lives.  We must purposely delight daily in the Word of the Lord!  
Psalm 37:23-24 reminds us: (23) “If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; (24) though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.” 

Are you trying to prop up your life the best you can or are you asking the LORD to uphold you with his hand?  Micah 7:18 reminds us, “You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.”  Often we discover that it is our anger and lack of forgiveness that separates us from God.  When you call out to Him, He pours out His mercy and grace to sustain all who trust in Him.  God’s Word assures us in Micah 7:19, “You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.”  

When you stumble in this life, call upon the Lord for forgiveness and seek the Lord to wrap His everlasting arms around you and hold you up.  Faithfully seek Him every day with all your heart!

Prayer
O God, when I become anxious about my life and the world around me, draw me back into your sacred presence.  May your peace which truly transcends all understanding guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.  AMEN

Pastor Roger Crites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Roger for the devotions this week. They have been very helpful. I really appreciate that you have referred to the "Minor Prophets" in God's word but just didn't repeat the sermon from Sunday.
This is the 2nd time I have mentioned this observation this week but I haven't seen my 1st comment from Wednesday recorded,

wednesday