Thursday, Sept. 27


Thursday

To download an audio version of this, click here. 

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.  Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.   - Romans 3:19-20

Have you ever noticed how prone you are to excuse yourself and blame others?  

This especially comes out when I’m driving. The driver who whizzed past me is a maniac. The granny in front of me holding up traffic by her slow driving is a road hazard. But me? Hey, I drive just right!

The guy who spends less than I do is a tightwad. The guy who spends more is irresponsible. But me? I’m a careful manager of what the Lord gives me.

We may chuckle at these examples, but if we go through life justifying ourselves and blaming others, the day will come when we won’t be laughing.  We’ll be standing before God, all of our excuses will evaporate, our mouths will be closed, and we will hear the Sovereign Judge pronounce, “Guilty as charged!”  At that point, it will be too late to plead for mercy.

Paul is like a prosecuting attorney, summing up his case. He’s still aiming at the self-righteous Jews.  In Romans 3:9, he sums up his case, “for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin.” Then, to cinch his case with the Jews, he cites from their own Scriptures to prove that there is none righteous, not even one (3:10).

But he’s not quite done. Paul realizes that religious, “good” sinners are very difficult to convince of their sin. He knows that they still may be thinking, “The passages you just quoted, Paul, refer only to wicked Jews or to the Gentiles. But I’m a good, law- keeping Jew. Those verses don’t describe me!”

So Paul shows (“we know” appeals to something that is common knowledge, which even the religious Jews would agree with) that the Law speaks to all who are under it. Yes, God’s Law condemns the Gentiles, too, so that “the whole world may become accountable to God.” But the Law speaks to those who are “in the Law” (literal translation), namely, to the Jews. He is showing that their own Law, in which they boasted, condemns them. They will not be justified by the Law unless they have kept it perfectly, which no one has. We can’t expect to be justified by a law that we have only kept occasionally and have broken often. That is his closing argument before resting his case.

Most people seem to think that if you try to do your best, even if you fail thousands of times, God will let you off on judgment day.  He will reward your effort, not penalize your failures.  But James 2:10 points out, “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.” We don’t like to admit this, but if you think about it, it’s true. If a man stole your credit card and used it to buy thousands of dollars of worth of stuff, he is guilty of stealing.  What would you think if, when he came to trial, he argued, “But judge, I didn’t commit adultery with his wife”?  “I didn’t steal his car or burn down his house.  I didn’t molest his children.  And, besides, I try to live by the Golden Rule. I do the best that I can.”  All of that is irrelevant to the main issue: “Did you steal his credit card and use it to buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff?”  If so, he is guilty in spite of all the other bad things he didn’t do and in spite of all the good things that he may be doing.  He’s a law-breaker.

Paul is showing us that this is our condition apart from Christ.  We are all “law-breakers” and we are all guilty.  If nobody can keep God’s law and we are all guilty for breaking it, you might be wondering, what is the point?  Why did God give us the law?  Paul tells us; “through the law we become conscious of sin.”  This means that we wake up to our true condition, we see our desperate need for God’s mercy and grace.

In Romans 3:19, Paul says that we will all be held accountable to God and that we will have nothing to say in our own defense, “so that every mouth may be silenced”.  “Lord, I’ve tried to be a good person; I’ve done my best to keep the Golden Rule,” won’t cut it. “Lord, I’m a guilty sinner, but I put my trust in Your Son Jesus who died to pay my penalty,” is the only answer that will be accepted. Make sure that your trust is in Christ alone!

Jeff Frazier

No comments: