Tuesday, September 18

To download an audio version of this, click here.

Romans 1:16-17
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Years ago I came across the story of a Christian business man who decided to take his Bible with him on a business trip. He was hoping to use some down time on the trip to keep up with his Men’s Bible Study group. But on the plane flight he found himself sitting next to the company CEO – his boss. When he opened his briefcase his Bible was sitting on top of his laptop – and his boss noticed. He said something like, “You brought your Bible on a business trip?”

Embarrassed, the man said, “Ahh, my wife must have put it in there again…she’s always doing stuff like that.”

His boss said, “Oh, that’s too bad, because I’ve been dealing with some things in my  personal life and I need to ask someone some questions about the Bible.”

Paul writes:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel…

Why would he say this?

Many have pointed out that there’s a big difference between being “shamed” and being “ashamed” – one comes from the outside – the other comes from the inside. 

Why was the businessman in the story ashamed to have his boss see the Bible in his briefcase? Maybe he was afraid that his boss would think it was strange or foolish. Maybe he was afraid his boss would laugh at him or think less of him. That fear and embarrassment comes from the inside.

I can remember, as a freshman in college, being afraid that my new friends would discover too quickly that I was a Christian and that they might make fun of me because of my faith. That fear came from insecurity and from immaturity in my faith.

I think Paul may have understood some of those feelings.

Can you imagine the conversation between Paul and his old Pharisee friends after he met Jesus on the road to Damascus?

“So, Paul, uh, tell us again why you aren’t arresting followers of Jesus anymore?”

“Like I’ve already told you, because Jesus appeared to me in a bright light from heaven. He’s alive! And I believe he is the Christ who came to save us from our sins.”

“So… you think Jesus, who was crucified by Pontius Pilate a while back, is alive?”

“I know he is.”

“And you think that because he is alive, we should all somehow believe that he can forgive our sins and we don’t have to sacrifice sheep anymore.”

“Yup.”

“Saul, uh, Paul I mean, you have completely lost your mind!”

Now we don’t know whether conversations like that ever really happened – but Paul had to have been aware that his faith in a resurrected and living Lord Jesus Christ sounded like complete fantasy and foolishness to the people he once called his friends.

But still he says, “I am not ashamed…”

Why?

The simple answer is because Paul knew Jesus. Paul had experienced the power of the gospel to save him from sin and give him peace with God, and therefore was unashamed. 

A couple of years ago 33 miners in Chile were rescued after being trapped underground for over two months. It was an incredible story that captured the world’s attention and prayers. Do you think those miners have ever been ashamed of being rescued? 

Of course not! They are not ashamed, they are overjoyed and grateful! They were as good as dead – and they were rescued to new life! 

We live in a culture that generally regards the claims of the gospel as “quaint” or “hopelessly out of touch.” To claim that Christ is risen and lives today can draw cynicism and even laughter from many. But remember, that if you have put your faith in the saving power of Jesus Christ, you may, at times be shamed by others, but you need never be ashamed. 

Pastor Brian Coffey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that! Certainly it has been my experience that many will ridicule faith in Christ, or wonder why a(bright, educated) person would read or believe in the Bible. However, sometimes I think their incredulity is a test to determine how much I believe. Is my belief superficial, easily challenged, one I will be ashamed of or easily dismiss in the face of peer pressure? I think my response is extraordinarily telling to me of my own heart and spiritual maturity, but also is telling to that person of my conviction of the Truth and how credible the truth of the gospel is.