Monday, April 12

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,
in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
– Ephesians 2:1-2

How is that for some cheerful words to start your Monday?

This idea that we are dead, absolutely spiritually dead without Christ, is rather offensive to most people in contemporary culture. We will readily admit that we are not perfect, that we have some things that are wrong with us, that we need a little help in our lives, but “dead”…well that is a little extreme.

We would like to believe that while we might need some help along the way, we are quite capable of fixing what is wrong with us, changing our own lives. This is the myth of popular psychology and the modern self-help movement – “You can fix you.” The Bible says – “No you can’t!”

Look at the contrast between these two statements…

At some point in our lives, the realization dawns upon us that freedom does not come from external situations or circumstance. At this moment, we begin an irreversible inner quest for liberation. - Deepak Chopra (popular self-help guru)

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. – Romans 7:18

Do see the radical difference? The question is, does salvation or deliverance come from within ourselves or from outside of ourselves? If Paul is correct and we are totally dead apart from Christ, then salvation cannot come from within!


The central message of our culture is that with the right information, the right techniques, the right guru or personal trainer, etc. you can change you.

The heart of the Gospel message is that you are DEAD without Christ (and someone who is dead can’t do much about their deadness), but there is One who can!

Do you recognize that Jesus has not just given you some inspiration or encouragement to live better, but that He has brought you from death to life?


I Praise You, Jesus, that You dare to tell me the truth about me even though I don't want to hear it. I know that I was dead before you brought me to life and I would be hopelessly lost without You. Thank You that you do not leave me in this hopeless state. - Amen

Jeff Frazier

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

This is so powerfully true I want to shout it from the rooftop!!! And more importantly,plead the Holy Spirit to penetrate the hearts of men and women to live in Christ!