Tuesday, April 20

Ephesians 1:4-7
In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will – to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

There are three words (at least) that capture my attention when I read these two sentences. The first word – “predestined” – is a mind-bending theological term that refers to the sovereign will of an omniscient and omnipotent God. Scholars have debated the meaning of the word for centuries and will continue to do so because the word itself is beyond human capacity to understand. In simplest terms it means God does what his will and pleasure demands – and yet allows for human freedom and responsibility. This is a great mystery.

The second word is much more personal – “adopted.” I can remember learning that my best friend in grade school was adopted. Since I was raised by my biological parents, the concept of adoption was foreign to me. But I soon simply accepted that my friend was just like me in that he had a home, a family and parents who loved him like my parents loved me.

To be adopted means to be both chosen and accepted by a new family. In the ancient Roman world it was often a slave child who was adopted into a free family. When this occurred, it meant that the adopted child was completely free from any debts or obligations from his or her previous family, and he or she received all the rights and privileges of the new family.

What a powerful image for what God has done in Christ for each one of us. We were once slaves to sin and death, but by his choice and love have been adopted into a new spiritual family – with a new Father. We have received a new identity in him and have new rights and privileges as his children!

The third word is intensely personal and emotional – “lavished.” When I think of the word “lavish” – I think of how we treat our children on their birthdays. We lavish them with attention and gifts – after all, it is their special day! I think of how grandparents often treat grandchildren – lavishing them with love and affection.

So what does God lavish upon us as his adopted children?

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

God, the proud and loving father, lavishes on his children the riches of his grace – the forgiveness of sins.

Before you end your time with God today – picture yourself standing under a gentle but overwhelming waterfall of his grace – as he lavishes on you his love and forgiveness!

Brian Coffey

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Thank you for that beautiful image of being restored!

Anonymous said...

The image of my Father lavishing such Riches of His Grace (love and forgiveness) on me quickly leads me to imagine what that kind of lavishing should look like in my own home - from Mom and Dad, upon our own children.