Thursday, April 29

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. – Ephesians 4:14-16


Did you notice that phrase; “we will in all things grow up”?

Do you want to grow up?

Parents don’t want to see their children grow up too soon. Parents worry about the loss of innocence and the passing of the childhood years, but kids are fascinated with the “grown-up” world and are anxious to get there. Of course there is a sense in which it is good for us to remain kids at heart. But there are many ways in which we all need to grow up! This is just as true for us spiritually as it is physically or emotionally.

Paul uses the image of being tossed about by the wind and waves to describe someone who is an infant or spiritually immature. I don’t know about you, but this is a very compelling image for me. I have often felt like I am being tossed about by the waves of others opinions, or blown off course by the temptations and distractions of daily life (I suspect I am not alone in this). Perhaps this is what the writer of Hebrews was getting at when he wrote, “We have this hope as an anchor for our souls, firm and secure…”(Heb.6:19)

So…how does growth happen? How do we grow up?

We talk about kids having “growth spurts”, but spiritually speaking, growth is usually something that does not take place suddenly or in spurts. It is a process, and sometimes a painstakingly slow one at that. I know many Christians who are greatly disturbed when they do not find themselves suddenly, remarkably, completely transformed into angelic creatures. They are upset when they find their old life, with all of its habits and temptations, still very much present.

Not only is growth a process, but it is ultimately God’s process! In other words, while we play a part in our growth, it is God who is the source of it. In 1 Corinthians 3:6-7, Paul put it this way: “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”

It is good to know that my spiritual growth is not solely dependent on me! If it were simply up to us, there would be a lot more spiritual “cry babies” floating about on the waves of the world. But this does not mean that I have nothing to do with my growth at all. The Bible does not teach that we are to just sit back and wait for God to do everything. He calls and invites us into a relationship in which we have some work to do, a role to play. We are, in a sense, partners in this process of spiritual growth, with God of course retaining the controlling share in the partnership. Notice that Paul says,We will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.” He does not say that we hope to, or we might - he says we will! That should both comfort and challenge you.

It is comforting because God is at work growing us up into the kind of people he desires to be.

It is challenging because we are not yet the kind of people He desires us to be.

Take a few moments to reflect on the spiritual growth that has already taken place in your life…thank God for what He has done in you…

Take a few moments to consider the areas where you still need to “grow up”…ask God to give you the insight to see them clearly and the courage to address them with His help…

Prayer
Oh Father, I confess that in so many ways I am just like helpless little child. I am so easily tossed about and I often lose my way. I desperately need to grow up in You! Help me to cling to You and to see where You are at work helping me to grow. Thank You for not leaving me on my own! Amen.


Jeff Frazier

2 comments:

Donna said...

Boy this brings me back to my early Awana training - they compared physical growth and spiritual growth and concluded three basic items needed:-

Eating - Reading God's Word
Breathing - Talking to God or praying
Exercise - Telling others about Christ

Anonymous said...

The biggest thing that tosses me about - and prevents me from focusing on growing up spiritually - is cultural and social demands for my time. Busyness. I know it's a cultural thing, because I have been to other countries, and have seen how others live. Demands on our time - and the socioeconomic expectations that seem to rule them - are distractions from what's really important in life. I wish I could go back to when I was younger, and my kids were infants, and live very differently from the start, raising the kids with a different set of expectations about material things, and how we spend out time - smaller house, less stuff, NO TV, different priorities. But God is good, and gives GRACE, and we all need to start growing in Him, right from where we are NOW, not where we wish we were ...