Tuesday, August 17

Psalm 63
1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.



If you read this "10 Minutes with God" you just read four verses. Really good. But now go back and pray those verses back to your Father in Heaven!

Luke 11:1-4
1One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."
2He said to them, "When you pray, say:
" 'Father, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
3Give us each day our daily bread.
4Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
And lead us not into temptation.' "


Jesus teaching his disciples how to pray prior to his illustration on persistence (tomorrow’s blog) can’t be ignored in this week’s devotional! I’m more and more amazed at how few know the Lord’s prayer. Even still caught in awe when Christ followers don’t “get” that it is a template for prayer, rather than one that is to be prayed as a “memorized” prayer. Now don’t get me wrong…lets get it memorized, but be aware that it is a guide most importantly. And one that prays – “Your Kingdom come.” I’m praying that the Kingdom would come in our FBCG community!

I’d like to share an adaption of the Lord’s Prayer by Max Lucado. Perhaps you’d like to copy/print and allow it to facilitate abundant prayer for you during this season. Or you can email me and I’ll send it to you in an attachment (bmcevoy@fbcg.com).

Lord’s Prayer


Our Father Thank you for adopting me into your family.
who is Thank you, my Lord, for being a God of the present tense: my Jehova-jireh (the God who provides), my Jehova-raah (the caring Shepherd), my Jehova-shalom (the Lord is peace), my Jehova-rophe (the God who heals), and my Jehova-nissi (Lord, my banner).
in heaven, Your workshop of creation reminds me: if you can make the skies, you can make sense out of my struggles
Hallowed be thy name. Be holy in my heart. You are a "cut above" all else. Enable me to set my sights on you.
Thy kingdom come, Come kingdom! Be present, Lord Jesus! Have free reign in every corner of my life.
Thy will be done, Reveal your heart to me, dear Father. Show me my role in your passion. Grant me guidance in the following decisions...
On earth as it is in heaven. Thank you that you silence heaven to hear my prayer. On my heart are the ones you love. I pray for...
Give us this day our daily bread. I accept your portion for my life today. I surrender the following concerns regarding my well-being...
Forgive us our debts, I thank you for the roof of grace over my head, bound together with the timbers and nails of Calvary. There is nothing I can do to earn or add to your mercy. I confess my sins to you.
As we also have forgiven our debtors; Treat me, Father, as I treat others. Have mercy on the following friends who have wounded me...
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one, Let my small hand be engulfed in yours. Hold me, lest I fall. I ask for special strength regarding...
Our Father...give us...forgive us...lead us Let your kindness be on all your church. I pray especially for ministers near and missionaries far away.
Thine - not mine - is the kingdom. I lay my plans at your feet.
Thine - not mine - is the power, I come to you for strength.
Thine - not mine - is the glory, I give you all the credit.
Thine - not mine - is the power.
Forever, Amen.

Bruce McEvoy
Pastor of Family and Serving

No comments: