Friday

Friday

Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.  Away from me you evildoers.’
-       Matthew 7:23

“But he will reply,  ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’ 
- Luke 13:27


Not long ago I was browsing through a local bookstore and picked up a copy of one of those “Worst Case Scenarios” books and began to leaf through it.  It covered a wide array of topics like, how to escape from a sinking car, how to get out of quick sand, what to do if you are being eaten by a python, how to jump from a building into a dumpster, and how to survive a killer bee attack, (just your basic, common, everyday situations).  In addition to piquing my curiosity and making me laugh out loud, it also started me thinking…what is my worst case scenario?  What is the event or occurrence that I fear most?  What is yours?

As a parent, of course I dread anything happening to my children.  In my work as a pastor I have dealt with many people in the midst of deep relational and emotional pain.  Most of us don’t have to think too hard to bring to mind tragedies or disasters that we hope we never have to face.  But I think the ultimate worst case scenario might be to hear Jesus speak the words “Away from me!” to you. 

Think about it for a moment, what could be worse than to be away from Jesus for all eternity!?  When we slow down and really consider this, I think we pretty quickly come to the conclusion that this is our worst case scenario.  And if being away from Jesus is our worst case scenario, then doesn’t that mean that being close to Jesus is our best case scenario?  The truth is that far too often, far too many of us really don’t live as if being near Jesus is our best case scenario. 

The life of Peter is powerful example for us on this issue.  Peter was certainly a passionate individual, and he had his share of ups and downs.  It was Peter who was the first one to jump out of the boat when Jesus came walking on the water (Matt. 14).  When Jesus predicted his death, Peter was the one who basically told him not to be so negative and that he would never let this happen.  Jesus turned and said to Peter,  Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.  (Matthew 16:23)  Later when Jesus predicted that some of his disciples would betray him, it was Peter who said that he would die before he ever disowned Jesus (and we all know who’s prediction was right on that score don’t we).  Finally, when the soldiers came to arrest Jesus and take him away we read in Luke 22:54, Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance.

Did you notice that last line?  Do you see what was happening to Peter, he was distancing himself from Jesus.  Following Jesus at a safe distance is the same thing as not following him at all, just ask Peter!  If you want to be close to Jesus in eternity, then you need to start getting close to him now!
(By the way, just in case you don’t know how things turned out for Peter, read John 21 and you’ll get the rest of the story, it’s pretty good.)

So, here is the your final reflection question for this week:

Is being near Jesus your best case scenario?  How close are you to him?

Come near to God and he will come near to you.  – James 4:8


Jeff Frazier

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the crux of it, then. Good ending to the week: Come near to Jesus, and He will come near to you. Kingdom living is meant for NOW, not just later in Heaven! Where God is, there is the Kingdom. May He be in our hearts and in our surroundings, because we bring him there and live him there... Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these devotions! Hope you respond to Thursday's Anonymous comment. We would all benefit from your answer.