Wednesday, September 29

here is one body and one Spirit – just as you were called to one hope when you were called – one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4: 4-6

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to preach at what was then our sister church in Samara, Russia. It was truly one of the highlights of my life as a pastor! After sharing two and a half hours of worship, prayer and preaching God’s Word, I was leaving the church when an elderly Russian man approached me with his face beaming with joy and tears streaming from his eyes. He came straight to me, grabbed my face in his gnarly hands and pulled me toward him. I naturally resisted because it was, well, weird! But he was too insistent and before I knew it he had planted a giant kiss right on my lips! Talk about comfort zone! I was several zones removed from comfort zone in that moment!

I learned later that this was his cultural way of expressing his respect and love for me. Despite the fact that we were very different – in age, language, culture, life experience – we did have in common shared truth and shared faith!

If you go back and read Ephesians 4:4-6 (go ahead – read it again) – you can count seven “ones.” These “ones” are what bind us together as the church – whether in suburban America or Samara, Russia. These “ones” are what make it possible for our short term mission teams to enjoy fellowship with other followers of Jesus anyplace in the world – Ecuador, Turkey, Austria, Mexico, The Czech Republic – and they are what led that Russian man to kiss me on the lips!

Now, I’m not saying we have to go around kissing each other on the lips (trust me on that one!) – but I am saying that just as the early believers were “devoted to the Apostle’s teaching” – so also we are to be devoted to God’s word. At FBCG we call this being “equipped.” To be equipped by God’s word is to allow God’s truth to shape our minds, hearts and lives into the likeness of Jesus. The truth of God’s word also unifies us as the Body of Christ in the world – as the church.

If you are not currently involved in an intentional process of being equipped through God’s word (other than “10 Minutes with God”) – consider stepping out of your comfort zone and into one of FBCG’s many equipping opportunities. Adult Learning Communities (ALC’s) meet on Sunday morning at both East and West Campuses; our Women’s Ministry offers several levels of Bible studies during the week; our men’s TEAM ministry meets early each Friday morning, etc. Make this the year you become devoted to connecting through God’s word!

Prayer: Ask God to increase your hunger for his word – and to lead you to the right class or group in which you can grow in your knowledge and understanding of his truth.

Brian Coffey

No comments: