Wednesday

Wednesday


The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends.  As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence.  But Peter lifted him up.  “Stand up,” he said,  “I am only a man myself.”            
- Acts 10:25-26

Cornelius and Peter have had an interesting few days (and they are about to get even more interesting).  There is wonderful drama in this story!

Here is a brief synopsis of the story so far:

Cornelius is an “unclean” gentile and a Centurion in the Roman Army. He is also a very devoted man seeking God with all his heart and mind.
Peter is our beloved, stiff-necked fisherman turned Apostle who is now being humbled and remolded by Jesus.
Cornelius had a vision of a man 'in shining apparel' who told him to send for Peter. 
Peter, a Jew, has had a vision instructing him that it is all right to eat what was ceremonially unclean. Peter is warned not to call anything unclean that God has declared as clean.
Cornelius sends for Peter.
Peter sets out to Cornelius’ house.

Cornelius has been in prayer for years seeking God. His devotion is known in the area. His gifts to the poor are generous and from the heart. Still, he knows he is missing something, but what? The man in the vision told Cornelius that Peter would have his answers.

The day Cornelius has prayed for has arrived as Peter walks through the door, years of searching and seeking for God is coming to a climax.  Cornelius falls to the ground and begins to worship Peter.  This is shocking behavior! It would have been unthinkable for a Roman officer to bow before a common Jew.  Roman centurions did not fall on their knees before anyone but a superior officer and Caesar himself.  But Cornelius has been praying and seeking God, and God has told him that this man (Peter) will have the answers he seeks. 

Here things get really interesting…Peter stops and touches Cornelius!  Peter raises him to his feet and lets Cornelius know his guest is also just a man. It was unlawful for a Jew to touch a gentile.  This would have made Peter “unclean” under Jewish law, but Peter has a new understanding of what it means to be clean!  So Peter hauls Cornelius to his feet giving him equal status as a man.  The work God has been doing in Peter's heart has begun to have it's effect and the answers Cornelius has been seeking are just moments away! Peter knew he was no better or worse than Cornelius. He may not have completely understood it.  But he was willing to put aside the distinctions he had learned trusting God in these new things.  God has brought these two unlikely men together for their transformation and for his glory!

We are still frail, fallible flesh and blood in spite of the fact that Jesus has saved us and begun to work in our lives. I'm nothing special in this regard. One thing I learn as I move forward in my life with Jesus is that I have so much more to learn!  Another thing I learn is that God can use anybody to teach me!

Question:  Can you think of a time when you God used unlikely individuals to teach you something?  (Perhaps through a little child, or someone from a different language or culture?  Perhaps he taught you through someone you once considered an enemy?)

Take a few moments to thank God for all of the people in your life that God has used to teach you, challenge you and shape you.  (you may even want to make a list)

Oh Lord We praise you for the teachers you have brought into our lives.  Grant us the humility to be able to learn from anyone you send our way and give us the grace to be able to influence others for your glory!  Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for having this blog! It's another opportunity in my continuing 'spiritual food'. What a great service you are providing for me!

Valerie Groomes

Anonymous said...

This Cornelius story has come SO much more alive for me, through this sermon and this week of devotionals - it's so much bigger than I thought! ANd my "list" of people who have taught me is LONG - and includes my own children, over and over again. As parents, we see our children doing the mistakes we also have done/still make, and it's very humbling! I also am blessed with ENOUGH memory left to recall the people in my life doing various things that I thought I would never do... NOW I understand, now that I am "there" or struggling with the same things, and that is teaching me humility and grace. Never underestimate the effect you can have on people, even years & years later!