Monday, April 23


To download an audio version of this, click here.

Psalm 90:12
Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

A number of years ago, when I was still running as part of my regular exercise routine, I hopped on a treadmill at a local fitness center. As I recall, my plan was to run for about 20 minutes at about an 8 – 9 minute per mile pace.

I was cruising right along, about 10 minutes into my run, when I sensed something was a little off. It took a few seconds to realize what was happening – but the treadmill had sped up just a bit and I was running slightly faster than my normal pace. I glanced down at the control panel to see if I had accidently touched the speed button – and I noticed that I was now running not an 8 minute pace – but a 7 ½ minute pace. And I realized that the treadmill was speeding up all by itself.

Now, the reasonable, intelligent thing to do would have been to hop off the treadmill – which would not have been hard to do at a 7 ½ mile pace – and inform someone that the machine had malfunctioned and to simply get on a different treadmill to finish my workout. But that’s not what I did. I took it as a kind of personal challenge. I thought to myself, “OK, Mr. Treadmill, you want it, you got it – let’s see what you got!?” And I picked up the pace.

Soon the machine was whirring at a 7 minute per mile clip. Then 6 1/2 ; then 6. Within a couple of minutes the whir turned into a roar and people around me were interrupting their workouts to watch me assault the 4 minute mile barrier and I was in trouble.

What could I do? I couldn’t continue that pace for much longer; and if I tried to jump off the treadmill at that speed I risked running through the plate glass window in front of me! But I had no choice, I had to get off that crazy thing – so I grabbed hold of the hand-rail on the treadmill and leapt off hoping not to seriously injure myself in the process. I landed rather awkwardly, staggering toward the window – but, thankfully, I didn’t run through it. But I did learn a lesson!

I had an acceleration problem!

There is a limit to how fast I can run and at some point – no matter how embarrassing or how awkward – I just had to get off the treadmill!

The same is true in my life outside the fitness center!

I think, if we are honest, many of us could say that we have an “acceleration problem.” That is, between work, commuting to work, working at home, raising children, carting kids around to all manner of activities, keeping up with commitments at church and in the community, trying to manage extended family relationships – not to mention day to day responsibilities like cleaning the house, shopping, or mowing the grass – we just keep squeezing more and more into our days and the end result is the same thing I felt on the accelerating treadmill!

Simply put, something has to go! But what? We have to get off the treadmill – or at least slow it down – but how?

The writer of the Psalms says it this way:

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

These ancient words speak to us about our lives in terms of priorities and wisdom. To “number our days aright” means to be aware of the preciousness of our lives. We are allotted a finite number of days on this earth and every single day contains 24 hours, and every hour just 60 minutes. To “number our days aright” means to be intentional about investing those days, hours and minutes in a manner that honors and serves the God who gave us life.

Notice that the Psalm says that when we number our days aright, we “gain a heart of wisdom.” That’s a more poetic way of saying that when I jumped off that treadmill I learned something that served to make me just that much wiser than I was when I got on the treadmill!

As we begin this week of “10 Minutes with God” ask him to help you to “number your days aright.” If you’re on a treadmill that is speeding up – and most of us are – ask him to help you slow it down or even to jump off for a bit. Ask him to help you take a good hard look at the priorities of your life. Are you growing wiser – or just running faster?

Ask God to grow in you a heart of wisdom.

Pastor Brian Coffey

1 comment:

Tom said...

How relevant this is to modern life. I have asked my daughter about religious education of the grandkids, or about Church on Sunday. How many have heard the response, "this is the only time I can sleep in" or "the kids have too much to do to for Church". And others, ad infinitum. Both parents were brought up Christians but somewhere their priorities have changed. So sad...