Thursday, April 19

To download an audio version of this, click here. 



2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

When I was about 10 years old and playing little league baseball, I once struck out with the bases loaded to end a game. Even at 10 I was already competitive and performance driven, so my failure left me crestfallen. I felt like I had let my team down. And since my Dad was one of the coaches of the team, I felt like I had let him down too. When we got home after the game I barricaded myself in my room and I lay down in my bed and wept tears of bitter defeat.

At some point my father came into my room and sat down at the end of the bed. While I no longer remember exactly how the conversation went, I do remember that it went something like this.

My Dad said, “Tough game, huh?”

I just nodded through my tears.

Then he said, “Do you know how many home runs Babe Ruth hit in his career?”

I remember thinking that was an odd question to ask a kid who just lost the game for his team by striking out with the bases loaded! But my Dad asked me the question because he knew I would know the answer.

“714,” I said without hesitation.

Then he said, “Do you know how many times the Babe struck out in his career?”

That was one statistic I didn’t know so I shook my head.

He said, “Over 1300 times; Babe Ruth struck out almost twice as many times as he hit home runs.”

He let that sink in for a bit and then just said something like, “Every ball player strikes out, even the best! So you struck out, big deal! The important thing is to give it your best and to be willing to go up there again and try again.”

What my Dad gave me that day was the freedom to fail. What he gave me was grace. And grace gave me the permission and strength to try again – and even fail again!

The Apostle Paul says it this way:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

We can’t be sure what specific “weakness” Paul was referring to in his own life. From what we know of his temperament and personality it could have been pride, or perhaps anger. He may have been referring to some kind of physical ailment that sapped his strength and energy. He may have been referring to spiritual discouragement as he struggled to preach the gospel in a hostile culture. But what he wants us to know is that the grace of Christ is greater than our weakness and failure.

Do you know that? I mean, do you really know that? Everybody strikes out with the bases loaded sooner or later! You may feel like you have failed as a husband and father; you may feel like you have failed in some significant relationship or even as a Christian. And most of us have a tendency to beat ourselves up over our failures. Interestingly, one of the names of Satan in the Bible is the “Accuser.” I believe that means that our enemy seeks to use our failures against us! At our moments of weakness and vulnerability he whispers, “Look at yourself! You failed again! And you call yourself a Christian! You’re no good to God or anybody – you might as well give up!” And sometimes we listen to that voice.

But that is not the voice of Christ. Jesus says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Jesus does not use our sin or failure against us; rather, he uses our sin and failure as an opportunity to demonstrate to us the depth of his love and the power of his grace to forgive and restore!

Thank God for the gift of his grace and ask him to help you share that gift with those you love!


Pastor Brian Coffey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray everyday for the relief from my guilt. It seems like the more 'good' I do, the more guilt I feel when I fail. I am afraid I will be found out, and then the whole world that knows me will leave me, kick me to the curb, and shout How Could You do this to us? The pleasure of 'I'll stop after this last time' is so small compared to the guilt I have afterwards. Ihoary I can truely understand God's Grace -- before it's too late. Signed --- too ashamed to leave name.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anonymous, my prayers are with you to truly understand and feel God's grace. I attend FBCG and I would accept you and love you no matter what I was to ever find out. We all struggle and have sinned and there is a battle going on to keep us away from God, but fill yourself regularly with God's word, words of inspiration (we have a great church library), and those that you know will encourage you in Christ no matter. He will bring you a greater pleasure than you can ever find in things.
Sending you lots of love and prayers today!
Tracy

Colleen said...

Yes, Tracy!! Oh, anonymous, if you only knew where I (and so many others like me) have come from. I have felt exactly the same way. That was before I really understood what God's grace really means--that I could never, ever earn it. But, He gives it to me freely...even though I don't deserve it.
Truly, if we were all to stand unveiled and authentic before each other, we would be surprised-and, perhaps, horrified- to see all of our hidden sin. I'd even be willing to bet that some of the people standing there would be suffering with the same sin you do. But that is EXACTLY why Christ did what He did for us, right?! To free us from those hidden transgressions as well as our visible ones--the sins we could never talk about with another human being because we would be too ashamed. He didn't just die for the little sins we can all share with one another. He died for it all!
He knows that our sin and shame burdens us and He loves us too much to let us live like that--separate from Him. Maybe you wonder how it can ever change-like I did? But, you will be surprised how, as you feel His grace for real, He will help you overcome that sin...I was.
As Pastor Brian said in the post, one of Satan's names is Accuser. He tells us lies to get us to believe that we can never be changed. My prayer for you today is that you will know those messages--that you can never be free of your sin and that, if the world that knows you were to find about your sin, they would "kick you to the curb"--that you identify those messages as the enemy...not as your gracious and forgiving Father! Our Father-your Father and Savior-tells you that, in Him, all things can be made new--that, in Him, life without that secret sin IS possible--that NOTHING is impossible for Him--that He will forgive it ALL!
The only way I am ever able to escape my shame and the stuff I want to hide is if I admit to myself that I cannot do it alone and that I MUST rely on Him. I'll admit...at first, I didn't know how to do that. I thought there was a secret everyone else knew that I didn't. The more I get to know about Him--the more time I spend alone with Him, the more I read His Word--the more I know I just need to lay it all before Him. He knows it anyway, He's just waiting for us to come to Him. And I have to BELIEVE that He forgives me..that there is nothing I can do that He won't forgive...that He is not mad at me...
He's not mad at you...HE LOVES YOU.
I'm praying for to know this right now!

Anonymous said...

Tracy and Colleen; Thank you for your kind words and your insightful thoughts. I know I have a long way to go. I keep hearing this at church, "You can't earn grace", but it's taking a long time to undo the years of being told that you do need to earn it and that it IS about what you do. As an example, my grandmother was in her 90's when she pasted away and she was still feeling guilty and worried the same way. Each time that I hear that from Pastor Jeff, Brian, Roger or even the encouraging comments here it seems to sink in a little more. Hopefully, soon, I can truly understand this. I pray that it's not because I get found out, and have to learn this first hand. I'm not sure if I could face my family or friends. Thanks for the prayers.