Wednesday, April 2

To listen to the audio version, click here.


John 7:1-5
After this, Jesus went around in Galilee, purposely staying away from Judea because the Jews there were waiting to take his life. But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near, Jesusbrothers said to him, You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things show yourself to the world.For even his brothers did not believe in him.

I grew up in a family of three sons and I am the father of four sons. I know a thing or two about sibling rivalry! As the oldest of three boys in my family growing up I experienced that rivalry in a completely different way than did my younger brothers. Over the years Ive come to understand that, in being born first, I inherited a different family position than my younger brothers, and that, therefore, my experience was very different from theirs.

As the oldest child, I was bigger and stronger than my younger brothers (at least through high school), and therefore had the clear advantage in all childhood competitions. Where this advantage of size and strength was no big deal to me, it drove my younger brother to be highly competitive in that he desperately wanted to be able to match me in everything we did.

As the older son, I also went through everything first; school, puberty, drivers license, graduation, all of it. From my perspective, most of those steps involved at least some anxiety and discomfort; but to my younger brother it seemed that I had all the privileges and advantages.
As we said earlier in the week, the Bible seems to indicate that Jesus had at least 4 younger brothers. Tradition suggests that the oldest of these younger brothers would have been James, the author of the New Testament book that bears his name.

We know from the text that neither James or the other brothers believed that Jesus was the Messiah.

For even his brothers did not believe in him.

I have to say I cant really blame them! Ive tried to imagine what would happened if I came home from college one day and announced to my younger brothers that I had just figured out that I was God! They undoubtedly would have either thought Id had some kind of psychotic episode, or they would have had some kind of sarcastic reaction, “Yeah, sure, the oldest brother ALWAYS thinks hed God!”

Notice the subtle but very clear anger and resentment expressed by Jesusbrothers. We are told that Jesus was avoiding the area of Judea because some folks there wanted to kill him. Yet we see that Jesusbrothers  suggest that he make a trip to that very region.

After this, Jesus went around in Galilee, purposely staying away from Judea because the Jews there were waiting to take his life. When the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near, Jesusbrothers said to him, You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do. No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things show yourself to the world.

I think Jesusyounger brothers (technically his “half-brothers”) may have resented him for several reasons. They may have resented him simply because he held the position of “elder son” in the family. In that culture this meant that he received certain privileges with regard to their father Josephs business and wealth.

They may have resented him because he decided to leave the family business and begin a preaching ministry, which left them to take care of the shop.

Add to that a resentment of his growing popularity and we can understand what seems to be hostility toward him.

Like Jesusbrothers, we can have our own reasons for rejecting him. Some may not believe Jesus is the Son of God who died and rose again to save us from our sins. Some may not believe they are in need of a Savior. Or some may believe in him, but may harbor resentment toward him because of some pain or loss in their life for which they hold him responsible.

Its important to see that the resentment and unbelief of his brothers did not dissuade Jesus from his obedience to the Father. He did eventually go to Judea and to Jerusalem; his enemies did eventually put him on the cross; he did die as the final sacrifice for the sins of the world; and he rose again to conquer sin and death.

Is there anything keeping you from Jesus today? Do you struggle to believe he is Savior and Lord? Do you believe in him but carry resentment and doubt? Do you know you can confess your unbelief, your resentment, and your pain to him? Do you know that he loves you even in your struggles with faith?

Do you know he has forgiven you?


Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: