Friday, May 2

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Matthew 20:25-28
Jesus called them together and said, You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
One day last week the weather was finally good enough to enjoy being outside so I sat on our porch watching three of our boys playing basketball in the driveway. At one point I got a cold can of root beer from the refrigerator in the garage and sipped it while I watched. When I finished my root beer I took the can in to throw it away but when I pulled out the recycle bin there was no plastic garbage bag in the bin. It looked like someone had recently emptied the bin and hadnt replaced the plastic bag.

So I had a choice to make. I could dig around under the sink to find another plastic garbage bag to put in the bin, or I could assume that there was no liner in the bin because we were out of garbage bags. If I assumed that, I quickly reasoned, I should just toss my empty can in the regular garbage and be done with it. The added benefit of that assumption was that it would be easier and quicker, and I could get back out to my perch on the porch. So...thats what I did.

Not long after that my wife came out to watch the driveway basketball as well. When she came out she said, “Who took out the recycle bag and forgot to replace it?”

One of my sons stopped playing ball and raised his hand. He said, “Oh, that was me, sorry, I forgot!

Then she said, “And who put a root beer can in the regular garbage?”

I sheepishly raised my hand and the boys started laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world!

They knew exactly what I had done! I had chosen the way of laziness rather than the way of service; effectively leaving the task of replacing the recycle bin liner to someone else...namely, my wife.

You would think that someone who has read and re-read Gary Chapmans “The Five Love Languages” would know better! You would think that since I know one of my wifes love languages is what Chapman calls “works of service” I would go out of my way looking for opportunities to serve her by doing small things like replacing the recycle bin liner! While I often will do those things, on this particular occasion failed to do so in spectacular fashion!

It seems to me that sometimes the place where it can be most difficult to serve is at home. Why is it that we can be more inclined to serve total strangers than those we live with and love the most? I think it probably has to do with taking family members for granted; or with just assuming someone else will eventually do that task that we dont particularly want to do.

In any case, read again what Jesus has to say about serving one another:

...whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
What does service look like at your house? Do the people who live in your home look for opportunities to serve each other or do they hope someone else will take care of the recycle bin liner?
What about you? Do you look for ways to serve or do you wait for someone to serve you?
Remember that Jesusteaching on true greatness doesnt just apply to serving the poor or the homeless, although it certainly includes such acts of compassion; Jesusteaching applies to our homes and families as well.
Serve one another as he has served you.

Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: