Monday, April 18


Mark 15:6-15
Now it was the custom at the Feast to release a prisoner whom the people requested. A man called Barabbas was in prison with the insurrectionists who had committed murder in the uprising. The crowd came up and asked Pilate to do for them what he usually did.

“Do you want me to release to you the king of the Jews?” asked Pilate, knowing it was out of envy that the chief priests had handed Jesus over to him. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas instead.

“What shall I do then, with the one you call king of the Jews?” Pilate asked them.

“Crucify him!” they shouted.

“Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate.

But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”

Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

Who was Barabbas?

The New Testament tells us very little about the man who was set free in order for Jesus of Nazareth to be crucified. Then again, maybe we know more about him than we think.

Here Mark uses two words to describe Barabbas that give us a clue. He refers to him as an insurrectionist and a murderer. Many scholars believe that this means that Barabbas was likely a member of a sect of Jews called the Zealots. The Zealots were radically committed to the Torah as the law of God and to the independence of Israel as God’s chosen people. They took the commandment, “You shall have no other gods before me;” very seriously and both resented and distrusted other Jewish groups like the Sadducees and Pharisees for failing to lead the people of Israel in rebelling against what they regarded as the pagan interlopers of Rome.

I think it’s possible that Barabbas grew up in a devout Jewish home and that from an early age he heard the stories of heroes like Moses, Joshua and Gideon, men used by God to defeat the enemies of Israel. I think he may have seen himself and the Zealots as the spiritual descendants of these great leaders.
So the crimes attributed to him, insurrection and murder, were likely committed against the Romans and out of a passion to accomplish what he believed to be God’s will.

Barabbas was also someone’s son. Tradition holds that his full name was Jesus Bar-abbas with Barabbas being his family name. In Hebrew his name means, “Jesus, son of the father.” Some scholars suggest that his name is rather generic – for it could be said that every one of us is a “son of the father” – for every human being has a biological father. There is also the obvious irony that Jesus Barabbas, Jesus, son of the father, was released from his sentence because Jesus of Nazareth, who often referred to his Father in Heaven as “Abba,” died in his place.

And so Barabbas, whatever else he was, was a thief, an insurrectionist, and a murderer. He was likely a Zealot. He was a son. And he was condemned to die for his crimes.

But Jesus of Nazareth, the son of the one he called “Abba Father,” took his place. I believe the story of Barabbas is also my story and your story. In a spiritual sense, we are all Barabbas. That is, we all stand before God guilty of our own sin until Jesus steps in to take our place.

As you consider Barabbas’ story this week – as we look ahead to the Last Supper, Golgotha, and the Empty Tomb of Resurrection morning – try to see his story as your story. What does it mean that another has died in your place?

Brian Coffey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if others feel the way I do: that sometimes when mention is made to Jesus dying for me, as in the last line of this devotional, it strikes me as so foreign a thought that I cannot relate to it...What does it mean to me? Crucifixion is not part of our culture. THe death sentence is avoided when possible, and delayed by years on death row, when inflicted. I find myself thinking about Jesus' redemption of me more in the positive sense than in the negative sense: He died so that I can LIVE without the ever-present and crippling guilt of my sin and failure upon me. That means a lot more to me than his saving me from death - for I don't really know what death is, until I experience it... but I have seen turn-around stories of people whose lives were changed by forgiveness, and I know how GOOD my own life is, because Jesus lives it with me!

Pastor Jeff said...

Dear Anonymous,

I understand what you are saying (I think) about wanting to view Jesus' redemption in positive rather than in negative terms. Of course you are right that the death of Christ would not mean much at all if it were not for the resurrection! However, you cannot have a resurrection without a death either.

You are also wise to point out that our culture does not readily identify with death, guilt and punishment. But we cheapen the power of the cross if we skip over the whole payment for sin and substitutionary atonement part in order to get to the grace and love and forgiveness part.

You mentioned in your post that "He died so that you can LIVE without the ever-present and crippling guilt of your sin and failure upon you." I say Amen to that! Yes, He died so that you can LIVE, because without his death you would still be dead in your sins. The power of the gospel message is that He has brought us from death to life!

Col. 2:13 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins"

Eph. 2:1 "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,"

Eph. 2:4-5 "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions — it is by grace you have been saved."

Malachi said...

You know when I think about Jesus and all the pain and suffering I stop and think to myself... what do I know? How much actual pain have I gone through? Why would someone so great and mighty go and be humiliated and punished and crucified for someone as low and lame as myself? Then i read John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his ONLY son to die for us... That is a great reminder for when I feel unwanted and hated and feel like no one out there truely loves me... I know God loves me and I love him too and I will keep pushing forward and never back down no matter what the price...

Anonymous said...

Amen, Malachi! Keep on...