Tuesday, April 19


Luke 23:13-25
Pilate called together the chief priests and the people, and said to them, “You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death. Therefore, I will punish him and then release him.”

With one voice they cried out, “Away with this man! Release Barabbas to us!” (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.)

Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again. But they kept shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”

For the third time he spoke to them: “Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished then release him.”

But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed. So Pilate decided to grant their demand. He released to them the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for; and surrendered Jesus to their will.

A year or so ago I was driving home very late one night, at about 3:00 am in the morning, from watching my son play a college baseball game in Indiana. I had driven 4 hours and was within a mile or so of my home when I saw the flashing lights of a police car in my rear view window. I glanced at my speedometer and saw that I was going about 44 MPH. I happened to be on a road where the speed limit varied from 30 to 45 MPH – and I honestly didn’t have any idea if I was on the 30 MPH section or the 45 MPH section. But when I pulled over to the side of the road, my headlights illuminated the sign that read “Speed Limit 45 MPH” about 20 yards ahead of me – which meant that, technically, I was still in the 30 MPH portion of the road! I thought to myself, “Give me a break! It’s 3 in the morning, I’m tired and I just want to go home!” The officer approached my window and asked for my license and registration. After a moment he looked back at me and said, “Are you PASTOR Brian Coffey?”

I didn’t know whether to be relieved or embarrassed that he knew who I was! I said, “Yes, that’s me.” Then, figuring his next question probably had to do with what I was doing driving around at 3 in the morning, I added quickly, “I’m coming home from watching my son play ball in Indiana…”

He said, “I’ve been to your church a few times – really enjoyed it.” Then he handed my license back to me and said, “Just be a little more careful next time – have a good night.” And that was it.

 Most of us know the feeling of relief when we realize that, although guilty of breaking the law by a few miles-per-hour, we were going to be warned, and not punished!

But consider another scenario. What if the officer had issued a citation to me that night – as I had deserved? And what if, at just that time, a stranger had pulled up behind me, stepped from his car and offered to pay my ticket right then and there – in cash? This is more than being warned and let off the hook. This is being guilty as charged, but someone else pay the penalty that I deserved. If that had happened, what would I have felt? Would I have felt relief? Gratitude? Would I have felt humbled? Loved? And how would I have used my “second chance”?

History does not tell us clearly what happened to Barabbas following his release. Some think he followed the crowd to Golgotha to watch Jesus’ crucifixion. Some think he went out with buddies and got drunk in celebration of his freedom. Some think he continued his insurrectionist activities and was eventually arrested again and put to death for his crimes. We just don’t know – but it is interesting to think about.

But the real question is, “What about us?” What about you? What about me? How will we respond to the gift of forgiveness? What will we do with our spiritual freedom?

Brian Coffey

1 comment:

Malachi age 16 said...

2 and a half years ago if you asked me what i meant to be forgiven I would have said I don't know or even care... but when I met one of my closest friends.. Pastor Mike.. it all changed for me.. I started going to church... I commited my life to christ.. I got baptised.. and you know it has been a hard road becoming christian because you will be persecuted and condemned.. but I look at it this way.. so what I'm happy to follow Jesus.. he died for me now it's time to return the favor..this bible verse means so much to me it always helps me when i need it Psalms 23:4 Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death I will no evil for you are with me.. your rod and staff protect and comfort me.. Amen and God bless!!