Friday, June 13

To listen to the audio version, click here.


Nehemiah 1:1-4

The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah:
In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa, Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.
They said to me, Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.
When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.

In the course of my life as a pastor I have had the privilege of hearing many people share their stories. Some of those stories are of walls broken down and burned with fire.
Ive heard stories of marriages that began with great love and hope but have degenerated into coldness and resentment.
Ive heard stories of addiction and promiscuity.
Ive heard stories of excess and debt.
Im sorry to say that some of those broken walls have stayed broken down. Some have yet to be rebuilt and remain full of sadness and pain.
But on the other hand I am overjoyed to be able to point to some broken down walls that have been rebuilt into something far stronger and more beautiful than had ever been before!
I have been blessed to be part of a number of stories where, initially, the walls were so broken down that I am ashamed to say I thought there was no chance they could ever be rebuilt again. “Burned with fire” is too gentle a phrase to describe some of these stories.
Yet, despite my lack of faith, they were rebuilt and restored.
They were rebuilt slowly; through confession, forgiveness, surrender and great, painstaking obedience. The walls of these lives or relationships were rebuilt brick by brick.
The story of Nehemiah reveals to us a God who loves to rebuild broken walls.
We sometimes sing a song in our worship that includes the lyrics:
To only my Maker my Father my Savior
Redeemer Restorer Rebuilder Rewarder
To only a God like You
I give my praise
(“Only a God Like You,” by Tommy Walker)

I love those words. Our God is redeemer, restorer, rebuilder and rewarder.

What about you?

How are your walls?
Are the walls of your personal life; your marriage or your family life strong and holding up to the pressures of todays world?
Are there any places that, if you are honest, are beginning to show wear? Are there a few crumbling gates that are in need of repair work? Maybe part of your wall is broken down and burned with fire.
Nehemiah teaches us to allow our hearts to be broken with what breaks the heart of God. Nehemiah then teaches us to cry out in our brokenness to the God of heaven in prayer.


Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: