Monday, June 23

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Nehemiah 2:1-8
In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.
I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?
The king said to me, What is it you want?
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.
Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
I also said to him, If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.
Last week, along with a couple other guys from our church staff, I took a quick trip to Little Rock, Arkansas. We had arranged to spend a day with a pastor there who we thought could help us with some leadership issues here at FBCG. It was a very valuable time but once our meetings were done we had a little time to kill so we decided to take in a little history.

We stopped by Little Rock Central High School; the site of a famous moment in the Civil Rights movement. In 1957 nine African American students tried to enroll in the school and touched off a national crisis now remembered as the Little Rock Nine.

Then we decided to stop by the Clinton Presidential Library. Right off the bat one of our team was frustrated because it really isnt a library at all, but rather a museum; and its not free; you have to pay $7 to get in.

But we went in anyway and took an hour or so to look around. We saw an exact replica of the Oval office; we saw display after display of gifts given the the President by heads-of-state and by American citizens. We saw photos of key moments throughout the Clinton White House years.

But, obviously, we never saw or met Bill Clinton.

How different it would have been had Bill Clinton been there himself to conduct a tour of the Clinton Presidential Library! No matter what I thought of the man and his politics, the power and prestige of the office he once held would have undoubtedly made an impact on how I experienced that visit.

When reading the story of Nehemiah its difficult for us to grasp the power that a man like King Artaxerxes would have wielded in the ancient world. As the absolute monarch of the kingdom of Persia Artaxerxes had the power of life and death over all those who dwelled under his reign, and certainly over all those who served in his court.

Chapter 2 begins with these words:

In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king.
At first glance there doesnt seem to be much going on in this sentence. We have already learned that Nehemiah was cupbearer to the King,so it makes sense that he is bringing wine to the King. We know that one of the responsibilities of the cupbearer was to make sure that the food and drink set before the King were of the highest quality and were safe for him to eat and drink. The cupbearer would make sure that the Kings wine and food had been tested, sometimes even by himself, to make sure it had not been poisoned in some way.
But we also notice that Nehemiah once again mentions the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes.While we dont know for sure, I think he does this as a way of telling us that he has served the King for all of those 20 years. If that is so then we can assume several things about Nehemiah.
First we can assume that Nehemiah had to be very good at his job. A man with the power of an emperor simply would not tolerate anything less than excellence from the position of cupbearer. We can also assume that Nehemiah had earned the Kings trust. Historians believe that Artaxerxesown father was betrayed and murdered by one of his own bodyguards, so we can assume he was extremely vigilant about who he trusted with his life.
Finally, we can assume that Nehemiah possessed a degree of political savvy and wisdom that allowed him not only to hold his position for two decades, but also to become a confidant of King Artaxerxes.
I think we see similarities here with several other stories of faithful men and women who who were used by God even though they served under powerful pagan rulers. Joseph rose from a captured slave to second in command in Pharaoh's Egypt and God used his position to benefit his people in a time of great need. Daniel became an advisor and prophet to King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Esther became Queen and played a pivotal role in the deliverance of the people of Israel.
The point is that even though we may feel like we are far from where we want to be; and even though we may not understand why we are in this particular situation; God can and will use us for his purposes.
In less than 2 chapters we have already seen two character traits in Nehemiah the man that we can assume were consistent throughout his 20 years as cupbearer to the King. First, he was a man of prayer; and second, he was a man of competent and faithful service.
We may not serve in the court of the most powerful man on earth; and we may not have the opportunity to rebuild the wall of a great city; but we can all be men and women of prayer, and we can all be people of extraordinary service.



Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: