Wednesday, June 25

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Nehemiah 2:1-8
In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.
I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?
The king said to me, What is it you want?
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.
Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
I also said to him, If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.

Sometime during week before Fathers Day my wife said to me, How do you want to spend Fathers Day? Is there anything you want or need?I knew from our years together that she was asking what I wanted for a family meal after church that Sunday, and if I could give her any ideas for what I might like to receive as Fathers Day gifts.

I dont know about you, but I always find the question, What do you want?to be very difficult to answer! I mean, do you ask for what you have a reasonable chance of getting, like a new shirt or two, or do you ask for what you really want, like a new car?

At that particular moment, I chose wisely and asked for a couple of new clothing items, but Im already thinking hard about next year!

At the moment of Nehemiahs greatest risk, when he has revealed the source of his deep sadness, the King asks a question Im not sure Nehemiah fully expected to hear.


The king said to me, What is it you want?
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.
There are several things to point out in this part of Nehemiahs conversation with King Artaxerxes. First, notice that after four months of prayer and fasting, and after the King asks him what he wants, Nehemiah prays again.

Was Nehemiah thanking God that the King had not been offended by his show of emotion? Was he thanking God for the question the King had just asked? Was he seeking Gods wisdom in asking for just the right things in just the right way? Or, may he have been asking for courage to make a bold request that might yet offend or enrage King Artaxerxes?

I think its possible that Nehemiah prayed all these things and maybe more. But what is both interesting and inspiring to me is that Nehemiah pauses to pray in the middle of a conversation! This tells me that prayer was such a natural and constant part of his life that Nehemiah is able to direct his thoughts and heart to God while simultaneously engaging the King.

What about you? Most of us pray when we find ourselves in crisis or in need of help. But is prayer such a part of your life that you look to the God of heaven before, after or even during the events of your day? Do you pray in preparation for a sales call? Before a business meeting? During a conversation with your son or daughter?

We know from the rest of his story that Nehemiah was an extremely intelligent, shrewd and dynamic leader. But despite his many gifts and abilities he sought the direction and blessing of God each step of the way.

As one writer put it, Only after speaking with the King of Kings was Nehemiah prepared to speak to the King of Persia.

Second, we notice that Nehemiah responds to the Kings question with both great boldness and great wisdom. On the one hand he asks for the whole enchilada; he wants to rebuild the city. Thats a big deal!

On the other hand, he is very careful in how he phrases his desire. He does not mention either Jerusalem or its wall directly; rather, he refers to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried.

This is because Nehemiah remembers that it was Artaxerxes himself who had stopped the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem some years earlier. After all, Jerusalem was a territory under Persian control and to rebuild the wall of a city that could be a potential rival made no political sense.

This is part of why Nehemiah was afraid; it is part of why he prays to God before speaking to the King; and it is why he is very careful in the manner in which he makes his request.

He refers to Jerusalem as the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried.This is very intentional because of the significance given to ancestral burial grounds in the ancient world. Nehemiah is giving the King every reason to agree to his request.

What can we learn from Nehemiah? We learn to be bold in our pursuit of Gods purposes. We learn to be wise and respectful in the manner in which we conduct ourselves. And, above all else, we learn to be people of prayer.


Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: