Friday, June 26

To listen to the audio version, click here.

Nehemiah 2:1-8
In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.
I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?
The king said to me, What is it you want?
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.
Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
I also said to him, If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.
Lets just think about that last sentence for a moment.
Were only one chapter and 8 verses into the story and we already know that Nehemiah is quite a guy. He has risen to a position of great responsibility and influence even though he is a Jew living in exile in Persia. He has kept his role as cupbearer to the king for 20 years. He speaks daily with the most powerful man in the known world. He has put together a plan to rebuild the walls and gates of Jerusalem and has waited patiently for just the right time to approach the king with his plans. He has just received permission to take a leave of absence from his job to undertake this great project; he has been granted the promise of protection while he travels; and he has been given access to all the material resources he will need. So right about now we might expect him to indulge in some chest thumping or to give himself at least a little pat on the back.
Nope.
What we get is a simple and humble statement of faith that is all we need to know about Nehemiah.
And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.
Nehemiah lived under and by the gracious hand of his God. Thats why his heart was broken by the news from Jerusalem. Thats why he fasted and prayed for four months. Thats why he was willing to risk his life to show his sadness to King Artaxerxes. Thats why, when the king asked, he was able to respond with both respect and boldness. And thats why the King of Persia granted his request.

Because the gracious hand of God was on him.

So often I think we live as if we arent sure if this is true. We live as if were not sure God is gracious. We live as if we arent sure the hand of God is on us. Therefore, we live as if our failures are final and our fears are debilitating.

Nehemiah knew that even if Artaxerxes refused to grant his request the gracious hand of God was still on him. Nehemiah knew that even if showing his sadness to the king cost him his life the gracious hand of God was on him.

Nehemiah knew God.

And because he knew God he knew that his failures were not final and that his fear was not debilitating. He knew the great freedom that comes with knowing the gracious hand of his God was on him.

The Apostle Paul reminds us that as followers of Christ we have the same promise:

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)

The purpose is Gods.

The work is Gods.

The power is Gods.

The resources are Gods.

The glory is Gods.

The call is ours.



Pastor Brian Coffey

No comments: