Friday, October 29

Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they pleased with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. (v. 7) But just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us – see that you also excel in this grace of giving. 2 Corinthians 8:2-3; 7

I have been blessed to have witnessed innumerable gestures of extraordinary generosity in nearly 25 years at FBCG. In just the last couple of months I have seen two separate gifts of $100,000 given to further the renovation of the East Campus facility. During that same period of time I listened as two different men, unbeknownst to each other, told me that at some point in their lives they felt the Lord call them to increase their personal generosity by 1% every year. Each of these people has learned what it means to “excel in the grace of giving.” Each is allowing God to draw their hearts into a kind of radical and uncomfortable generosity!

But there is one more, and very different, story I want to share.

Some 13-14 years ago a staff member at FBCG told me that the ushers had discovered an unusual gift in the offering plate the previous Sunday. It was a small gold ring – nothing fancy – just a small ring with a cross engraved on one side. I don’t know who put the ring in the offering plate or why – but something about that gesture touched me so deeply that I have kept the ring all these years (after making sure the value of the ring was retuned to the offering!). I kept it because it reminds me of the story of the poor woman in Luke 21. I kept it because it reminds me that love expresses itself through gifts given from scarcity; and true generosity begins in the heart – not the checkbook. And I kept it because it reminds me of what it means to “excel in the grace of giving.”

It strikes me that for some of us, to “excel in the grace of giving” might mean giving a gift of $100,000. For others, it might mean growing our generosity in an intentionally disciplined way over time. For yet others, it might mean simply giving what we have to give as a gift of love to the God who has given us everything!

Close your time with God by thanking him for his many gifts and blessings, and by asking him to help you to “excel in the grace of giving.”

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9

Brian Coffey

No comments: