Wednesday, October 6

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.   – 2 Peter 1:8

Several weekends ago I set out to trim some trees in our backyard but I couldn’t find my handheld limb saw.  I searched all through the garage with no luck.  I finally found it outside under the woodpile in back of our house.  Apparently one of my children had left it out there several weeks earlier (don’t even ask why one of my children was playing with a saw).  The handle was loose, the blade was caked with dirt and it was completely dull.  I tried to cut those limbs with the saw, but it was totally useless to me.  So I just hacked away with my dull hatchet on those poor tree limbs!

Peter warns us in this passage about the danger of an ineffective and unproductive spiritual life.  Which of us wants to live an unproductive life?  Who wants to live a useless or ineffective spiritual life?  Are you content to have a dull faith that makes no real impact in the world around you?

For that saw to be useful to me, it must maintain the qualities of an effective saw; a clean and sharp blade, tight handle, etc.  For us to be effective and useful to God, we must maintain the qualities that Peter mentions earlier in this passage; goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.  Peter goes on to say that we should be possessing these qualities in increasing measure.  We should be growing, increasing, and gaining ground in each of these areas.  A blade will eventually grow dull with use, or even if left alone, it must be sharpened.  Likewise, we must continually be growing (increasing) if we are to stay spiritually sharp.

In Paul David Tripp’s book Instruments In the Redeemer’s Hands, Tripp argues that if we want to be useful to God, the best thing we can do is to become like Him.  I know many Christians who are doing a lot for God.  They are busy serving and leading in multiple ministries.  They are considered by others to be very “spiritual” and godly.  But the truth is that while they may be doing a lot for God, they are not increasing in becoming like Him in their character.

Frankly, it is far easier to look outward at the needs of others and the opportunities for ministry, than it is to look inward at our own personal character flaws and imperfections.  But Peter’s words won’t let us squirm out from under this simple truth; your character is the most important component of your effectiveness for Christ!

Notice that Peter does not say that you are going to be ineffective and unproductive in ministry, but in ”your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”  This is what your life is all about, to know Jesus! 

Let me put it to you as simply as I can – Your goal as a Christian is not to do great things for God, but to know the Lord Jesus Christ!

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things…I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  - Philippians 3:7-10

Jeff Frazier

2 comments:

Tom said...

I find the comparison to man made tools and to spirituality with God interesting. A tool can be sharpened, polished, protected from corrosion and put into a drawer for future use where it will remain ready to use for years or centuries. When used, a tool will only deteriorate. My spirituality cannot be put into a drawer and kept for future use no matter how carefully I prepare it. Unlike man made tools it can never wear out and in fact becomes better with use. However, there is a great comparison between the two: a craftsman would never use a tool without first making sure it is ready for the task.

Pastor Jeff said...

Tom,
You make a very good point here. You are right that tools deteriorate with use while we (humans) must be active in order to grow. Clearly this is not a perfect analogy. Nonetheless we are His instruments and, as you said, He wants to sharpen us so that we might become useful in building His kingdom!

Blessings,
Pastor Jeff