Wednesday, October 27

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “I tell you the truth,” he said, “this poor woman has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.” Luke 21:1-4

A few weeks ago I was on my way to meet my wife to watch a high school football game and I stopped for gas. I was also kind of hungry – so I went looking for a snack. Right in front of the cash register I noticed a display of a new kind of M&M's! They were called “pretzel M&M's” - that is, small pretzel bits coated with milk chocolate and a candy shell. I had heard about these new-fangled M&M's, but had never tried them, so I picked up a couple of bags. One for me and one for Lorene. I knew she would be pleased that I thought of her as well as my own sweet tooth!

I found my wife in the stadium, gave her her bag of pretzel M&M's, and took out my own bag. No sooner had I opened the bag – and a lady sitting one row behind me said, “Oooooh, are those the new pretzel M&M's? I have to try one of those!” While her request certainly put me “on the spot,” I was proud of myself for not nodding toward my wife and saying, “Um,…she has a full bag too!” Instead, I quickly poured a few of my pretzel M&M's into her open hand – and that of her husband as well – then happily returned to enjoying my treats.

As I thought about it later, it dawned on me that I had been quick to share because my bag of M&M's was still mostly full. I still had plenty left over for myself. True, I had shared – and that is a good thing – but I had shared from my abundance!

I was thinking about that as I read the story of the poor widow in Luke 21. It struck me that sometimes that’s how I think about my giving to God! If I look at my checkbook (or bank account) and the amount makes me feel comfortable – then I feel like I can share some with God. But if that amount makes me feel a little uncomfortable – like I might not have enough left for ME – then I am tempted to wait for a “better time.” I would guess I am probably not alone in those feelings!

Jesus said, “All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth, but out of her poverty she gave all she had to live on.” I think Jesus is saying that while giving out of abundance is a good thing – God actually expects those of us who have been materially and financially blessed to be generous – it is a comfortable kind of giving. He wants his disciples, and us, to see in this poor woman another kind of giving – a giving that goes beyond the comfortable – to the uncomfortable.

Has Jesus ever called you to step out of your comfort zone when it comes to giving? Has Jesus ever nudged your heart to do something wildly generous? Are you willing to become a little more like that poor woman? Ask the Lord to show you what “giving your two cents” would look like in your life!

Brian Coffey

No comments: