Friday, October 8

Friday

So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,   - 2 Peter 1:12-13

And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.  – 2 Peter 1:15


Apparently Peter takes this remembering business pretty seriously.  He repeatedly states that he is going to keep reminding these Christians for as long as he is alive.  I particularly like the way that Peter says he knows that his readers are firmly established in the truth (spiritually mature) but that isn’t going to stop him from reminding them.  It is as if he is saying, “I know that you have heard this stuff before, but I don’t care, and I am going to tell you anyway!”

Peter must have been a good friend to have (and sometimes probably an annoying friend too).  He cares more about his fellow Christians living for the glory of Christ than he does about them being annoyed or offended by his constant reminders.  It is easy to convince ourselves that if we don’t have anything new to say, then we should just keep quiet.  We may also be tempted to question our right to remind someone of spiritual truths that we ourselves often forget. 

But the truth is that we have the responsibility and the privilege of reminding one another!

I am firmly convinced that the most profound truths in our lives are not new ideas, they are the truths we have ignored or forgotten, and need to be reminded of. 

Years ago, when I was just starting out in ministry, I had the joy of leading several young men to the Lord in the space of just a few weeks.  These young men were very excited about their new faith and were sharing it with anyone and everyone who would listen (and few who didn’t want to listen).  It was a very exciting time for them and for me as I met with them each week and began to lead them through the study of the Bible.  The trouble was that a couple of these young men came from families that did not share their son’s excitement about Jesus Christ (to say the least).  These parents questioned my motives and my interest in their sons and convinced them that it was unhealthy for them to be too overly involved in “religion”.  Eventually some of these parents even forbid their sons from participating at all in our youth ministry and the rest just kind of drifted out of involvement altogether.  In the space of about a month I went from the joy of having a small group of 6 brand new believers to the frustration and emptiness of having them all drift away from me and from the church.  I became very discouraged and I wondered if somehow it was my fault, if I had done or not done something that might have changed things.  I even began to have second thoughts about whether I belonged in ministry at all.

A friend came to me at my lowest point and reminded me that ministry success was really not up to me at all.  He quoted to me the verse 1 Corinthians 15:58, Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.  The ironic thing about this was that this was the theme verse for our entire ministry season and I had been the one who had selected it!

My friend (like Peter) gave me the great gift of a, much needed, spiritual reminder at just the right time.  I am so grateful that he did!  I have often reflected on that experience and it has motivated me to do the same for others where God gives me the opportunity. 

What about you?
Who do you know that needs a reminder?  Who has perhaps drifted from or forgotten the truth of the Gospel?  Who do you know that needs a little encouragement or a little nudge in the right direction?  Who needs you to challenge them with the truth (which they have heard before)? 

Remember, you have the responsibility and the privilege of reminding them…will you?


2 comments:

Tom said...

Who do you know that needs a reminder?

Me!

Pastor Jeff said...

Good One Tom :)