10 Minutes with God, Monday, January 4, 2010

Psalm 119:17-18
Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

Spend a few moments in prayer; ask the Lord to quiet your heart and mind that you may know his presence and hear his voice.


Philippians 3:12-14
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do, forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Paul here describes his relationship with Christ as a dynamic process – a kind of intentional journey.
Take some time to think about your own spiritual journey.
Were you raised in a Christian home? Were you exposed to the truth of Christ early in life – or did you meet him later on?
Who were the influential people in your journey toward Jesus?
When and how did Christ “take hold” of you?
Was there a decisive moment when you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior – or was your experience of salvation more of a “process?”
Can you define 1 or 2 spiritual turning points in your life?

Take a few minutes to write out an outline of your faith journey. After doing so - close you time with God by thanking him for the people and experiences he has provided you along the way. Ask him to give you an opportunity to share your story with someone who needs encouragement in their journey.

To receive email updates for the daily devotions, click on Subscribe to Coffey Break by Email

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brian, Thanks be to you and God for encouraging me to "step it up". I just wrote an outline of my faith journey and after "40 years of being in the desert", I finally got it. The hand of God has been there the entire time and I am now putting Him in charge. He is the giver of all good things.

Charlotte said...

This is a wonderful to start the year. Allowing God to reach deep within us and lift us up.

Jolene said...

Do good to me, your servant, so I can live, so I can obey your word... I felt like I was reading those verses for the first time....! Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead. This is my goal now! Thank you for posting this Bible Study. May God richly bless you.

Angie Kruse said...

Pastor Brian,
THANK YOU for giving us this interactive approach to the sermon series. I appreciate your challenge to be more intentional and deliberate in my daily walk with Jesus. Angie Kruse

Anonymous said...

I'm just getting started on 10 minutes with God now, although I have been listening to the series each week in church. I always struggle with the possibility of sharing my story with someone who needs encouragement because I don't feel like I have a "story". My faith experience has definitely been a lifelong "process". I can't remember not knowing Jesus. There doesn't seem to be a moment when I said "I believe", I feel like I just always have. I have tried to share my faith with friends, particularly one, but I always feel like I'm not getting through because there was no "defining" moment and I think she may need that. How does one share decades of a spiritual process in a few short minutes?