Thursday, January 7

Psalm 51:1-2, 10, 12
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.


Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Restore me to the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.


Begin your time with God today by spending a few moments in reflection and confession. Lay open the content of your heart before the mercy and cleansing power of God’s great forgiveness. Ask him to renew your heart today.


Philippians 3:13-14
But one thing I do, forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Here Paul is likely thinking about his life before meeting Christ – when he devoted himself to persecuting the followers of Jesus. I think it’s possible that the memories of his own pride and hatred cling to him even though he knows his sins are forgiven. Is there any way in which the mistakes, failures and sin of the past year still cling to your heart and mind today? Take some time to write down some of the things – attitudes, actions, habits – that Jesus might want you to “forget” – that is, trust completely to him as you look ahead to what he has for you in the New Year.

Close your time with God by thanking him for his power to wipe the slate of our hearts clean – and re-commit yourself to his calling on your life.

To receive email updates for the daily devotions, click on Subscribe to Coffey Break by Email

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Still dwelling on how deeply Thursday's devo has affected me, and how grand and perfect God's timing is. (Can't quite move on to the next day yet!) He knows what I need to hear, how I'll hear it best, and when I'm ready to hear it...and He strengthens my heart to live like I believe Him. Today, as I continue to take fresh hold of these truths, the Spirit more deeply convicts and makes His Presence known while continuing to teach me via 2 messages I heard on Moody this morning as I went about my day.

DAILY, let us ask, seek and knock - for God promises to answer us.