Thursday, January 21

Psalm 119: 10-11
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Open your time with God today by confessing to him any way in which you may have strayed from his commands in attitude, word or deed. Thank him for the grace and forgiveness that he offers through Christ.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Someone has said that the most important 18 inches in human experience is the 18 inches between the head and the heart. I think whoever said that may have had Hebrews 4:12 in mind – because God’s word always moves from the head to the heart. While knowing and understanding the content of the Bible is important – that’s just the first step. The most important step is moving from information to transformation – and transformation takes place in the heart!

Can you point to a time when God’s truth moved from your head to your heart? When you read God’s word – do you tend to read with your head (for information) – or with your heart (for transformation)?

If the two “edges” of God’s word are his grace (forgiveness, mercy, comfort and love) and his judgment (holiness, confrontation, conviction of sin) – which edge has cut most deeply into your own heart – and why?

Thank God for the power of his word to penetrate your heart!

To receive email updates for the daily devotions, click on Subscribe to Coffey Break by Email

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace AND judgment...what a concept!

Anonymous said...

Interesting questions! I would say for me, I read first for information, then transformation. I usually find that reading by myself is more informational; in a group setting it suddenly becomes more transformational. I have no idea why this is!

Anonymous said...

I think the group setting is where "iron sharpens iron" can work and that in turn results in us realizing the need for transforming and having the setting in which others encourage us to allow God to transform us.