Friday, February 5

Psalm 40:1-2
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

Begin your time with God today by realizing that as you call out to him – he turns to you and hears! Thank him for meeting with you today.

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

If we remember that Paul wrote these words from prison – this becomes an astonishing and powerful paragraph from God’s word!

He doesn’t pray for release; he doesn’t pray for justice and fairness; he doesn’t pray for better treatment; he says, “Don’t be anxious about anything…” and then “the peace of God … will guard your hearts and minds…”

What kind of prayer is this? What kind of peace is this?
This is the prayer of a man who knows that most of what we worry about – including being in prison – are insignificant in comparison with the knowledge that our lives are in God’s hands!
This is a peace that assures us that nothing can happen to us that God cannot redeem into his purpose and glory.

To “take hold” of prayer means to open your heart to God in complete honesty, believing that He both hears and has the power to answer our requests; trusting Him to give us what He knows is best for us, then resting in His peace.

Close your time with him today by asking the Lord to help you to continue to take hold of prayer – and to know the peace of Christ in your heart.

2 comments:

Rich Olenik said...

It is more than interesting that the Creator God, the ultimate multi-tasker, is not only able to hear my specific pleadings and cries for his attention but that he actually turns to me and cares about insignificant me. Thanks for that awesome reminder.

Anonymous said...

I know I am redeemed, but how awesome to know that God can use the fears and failures of my life for his purposes and glory.