Thursday, February 11

One day Jesus caught his disciples off guard with a “compliment.” I suspect they were initially pleased by his apparent commendation but then became completely confused as they tried to figure out what he meant:

For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick, and you looked after me. I was in prison, and you came to visit me. Matthew 25:35-36 NIV.

I can imagine the puzzled looks on the disciples’ faces as they question Jesus: “Lord, are you sure you’re thinking of the right disciples? We don’t remember feeding you when you were hungry or visiting you in prison. We sure don’t recall you being naked and us giving you some clothes. Were you ever sick? Must have been when you got up early and went to the other side of the lake. We think you’re getting your facts mixed up.” And Jesus responds with those unforgettable words:

“Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Matthew 25:40 NIV).

Most of us stop there in the biblical narrative. Jesus’ words are already convicting because we realize how little we’ve done for the sick, the poor, those in prison, the homeless. But then he takes it one step further:

He goes on to say that whatever we have NOT done for the least of these, we have actually not done for Jesus! (Matthew 25:41-46)

Do you get it? Jesus tells us that we have made two huge mistakes: We haven’t taken care of those in need, and by failing to take care of them, they have failed to take care of him!
Ask God to help you see how you have failed to serve Him by serving others…
Ask God to help you see the needs of those around you as tangible opportunities to express your love to Jesus…

Jeff Frazier

No comments: