Thursday, February 25

Begin your time with God by reading this passage from 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those who are under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

There is often a great barrier between Christians and unbelievers. To some degree that is to be expected, because we view things from a different perspective, and live by biblical principles that the world either does not accept or does not understand.

Many times, however, this barrier is in place because Christians have so far removed themselves from unbelievers that they have absolutely no connection with them.

The Apostle Paul wasn't like that. He made a point of being like the people he wanted to influence for Christ. He did this without compromising or falling into sin. Of course it is not a good idea to go out and get drunk with some friends as a way to try and connect with them and win them to Christ.

Paul looked at what was good or morally acceptable in people, and then worked to make some kind of connection there. His sole motivation for doing so was to influence people for Christ.

I know a guy who is not much of an outdoorsman, but is learning to fly fish simply because he has a friend from work who loves it. This man is working to build a bridge of connection because he loves his friend and he wants him to know the love of Jesus! (kind of gives an interesting twist on the phrase “fishers of men” huh?)

Consider the people in your life that you would like to influence for Jesus Christ…

What opportunities do you see to build “bridges of connection” with them for the sake of the gospel?

Jeff Frazier

No comments: