Thursday, July 4

To download an audio version, click here.


It has been said -- You can't test courage cautiously.  I would agree that as we have looked at Joshua 3 throughout the week it is aligned with this sentiment!  God rarely “tests” us a “little.”  Think about that.  Are the stories of God’s people on our old school flannel graphs or those simplified in our Children’s Bibles, petty stories of achievement?  Or grand stories of impact?

Let me remind you of some of the EPIC stories of COURAGE without CAUTION:
Noah…and the ARK.
David…kills Goliath.
Samson…kills hundreds with a jawbone.
Daniel…in the Lions Den.
Esther…approaches the King to save her people.
Nehemiah…re-builds the walls of Jerusalem.
Gideon…wins with only 300.
Jesus (and disciples)…feeds 5000.  
Stephen…stoned for his faith conviction.

It took courage for Peter to step out of the boat just like it took courage for the priests to step out into the Jordan at flood stage.  As pastor of Serving I have the special opportunity to know the courageous stories of our FBCGers who have stepped out in faith to GO.  To go well beyond their comfort zones to places like Ecuador, Nigeria, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Indonesia and to happy pagan students in our high schools (Young Life staff) and colleges/universities (Cru).  It is amazing how often God speaks clearly, even when it might feel crazy.  But none of our FBCGers serving throughout the country or world are crazy.  They are obedient to God. 

Today would you finish your Ten Minutes with God and pray…

King Jesus, I am Yours!  I’m completely yours.  Yet if I am honest, I am not sure I know how to listen well to your voice.  Please speak loudly and clearly on where you are specifically calling me to go or step into your service and for your purpose.  Help me to take a baby step or even a giant leap.  I want to serve you with my heart, soul, strength, and mind.  ~Amen

Bruce McEvoy
Pastor of Family and Serving

No comments: