Tuesday, August 6

To download an audio version, click here.


Hebrews 12:2
“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

When I was ten years old I was diagnosed with severe near-sightedness.  My parents finally understood why I sat so close to the television and why I had to sit close to the black board in the front of the classroom.  I am thankful every day of my life for glasses.  I am able to focus on the physical objects in my life.

I was fourteen years old when I was able bring into focus the spiritual side of my life.  I placed my trust in Jesus Christ alone to forgive me of my sins and received the gift of eternal life.  That night I bought my first book about the Christian life entitled, “Your God is Too Small” by J.B. Phillips.  He made it clear that far too often we make false assumptions about the character of God.  Phillips stated that God is neither a resident policeman waiting for you to get out of line nor is He a loving grandfather figure who never corrects you.  God is both just and merciful.  As you focus on Jesus the author and perfecter of your faith, know that He is seated at the right hand of God interceding for you and me.  We do not walk this life alone and without hope.

Since that night at a youth camp, I have continued to fix my eyes on Jesus.  It has not always been a smooth trajectory upward.  From time to time I have allowed the people and pleasures of this world to shift my vision away from Jesus.  He has not given up on me nor will He give up on you.  Embrace Him fully and follow Him faithfully each day.

Prayer

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart that I may trust in your Name. I am thankful that when I walk with you by faith, I will never be led astray.  I am assured that you are interceding for me that I may stand firm and walk confidently with you.  AMEN

Pastor Roger Crites

No comments: